school uniforms: how many do I need??

My son is 5 and staring at a catholic school. They wear a uniform from a special (and pricey) company. For those of you experienced at this, how many should I get of each??
They offer:
gym shirt
gym shorts
pants
shorts
long sleeve shirt
short sleeve shirt
v-neck sweater
pull over fleece
jacket

I don't want to not have enough, but they cost too much to buy alot.
Thank you in advance for your opinion, and have a great day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have to buy it all at once? Maybe just the shorts and shirts at first and the jackets and stuff later on before the weather turns cold. I would get
    2gym shirt
    2gym shorts
    3pants
    3shorts
    l3ong sleeve shirt
    3short sleeve shirt
    1v-neck sweater
    1pull over fleece
    1jacket

Maybe even less than that if you dont mind doing laundry more often. But seriously consider just getting the shorts and shirts and gym stuff for now and the warmer stuff later on, it will still be the same amount of money, but breaking it will help.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would do 2 sets of gym clothes and maybe 3 uniforms so if he stains, tears or has an accident you always have an extra set. I would do 1 of the sweaters and jackets and then 3 sets of pants and shirts.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My daughter has to wear uniforms so I bought shirts, skirts, skorts, pants, and jumpsuits for every day of the week. I just mix and match. They are allowed to wear white, red or navy shirts. Khakis or navy bottoms.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I've had kids in uniforms for the better part of 23 years. One set of gym clothes is plenty. they only wear them an hour a day. Minimum 5 prs of long pants. Less than that means over washing and wearing out very quickly. Long sleeve shirts depend on where you live. We have fairly mild winters mostly..but my g-daughter is cold natured..she has 5. Short sleeve at least 6. Remember you don't have to have long sleeves when school FIRST starts. Jacket, fleece and sweater are more about your child. We always keep one lighter jacket one heavy jacket. Again, the heavy jacket can be bought a few weeks after school starts in most places and be fine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My oldest wears a uniform. We bought his shorts and short sleeve shirts in the beginning of the year. then bought a sweater and long pants when it got colder.
    We have a four day school week. We bought two pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts and four short sleeve shirts and a sweater.
    In the winter my ds wears shorts and a sweater and is warm enough. Most schools keep the temp at 70 degrees so that is warm enough with a sweater in the winter. Plus any time he is outside he wears a coat.
    Our school also has a uniform exchange program where you can bring clothes that they have outgrown and get bigger sizes. I bet your school has something like that too. For every item you bring in you get a voucher, if you just want to purchase then shirts are $2 and pants are $3.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank You all for your suggestions. I think I am taking a bit of info. from each of you and I appriciate your experienced advise.
    Anonymous