What do you think about baby sleeping while breatfeeding or with a bottle?

lesleyz

Asked by lesleyz at 4:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always woke my daughter up so she didn't start to associate food with sleep. I wanted her awake and alert to get all the food she needs. Sleeping babies usually turn into lazy eaters and thats not good. I always keep her awake and if she fell sleep I burped her and stopped feeding her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Awesome while breastfeeding, but bad for the teeth with a bottle of formula.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I never let mine do either. If he fell asleep while nursing, I would try to wake him up. Or just lay him down. He drank all his bottle in just a little bit, so, he never had to sleep while drinking it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think it's probably bad. Is it? I never did that with my son but my common sense is telling me that would not be a smart thing to do.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't think it turns them into lazy eaters. lol
    Anonymous

• My son usually falls asleep during his light night early morning feedings. If I try to wake him up, he'd just fall back asleep
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My kids all fell asleep while nursing, it's made that way - it's part of the biology of it. It was never a problem (in fact it's pretty darn convenient a lot of the time!) and they aren't lazy eaters or any thing of the sort. It's part of the breastfeeding package. ;-) You can find out more here and here. The reason to avoid it with a bottle of formula is that it is bad for the teeth to have the formula hanging out in the mouth like that - it causes something called "bottle mouth"... also, if they are lying down while drinking from their bottle they have an increased chance of ear infections.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Personally, I didn't do either because it was not a habit I wanted to have to break later.
    Anonymous

• My daughter would fall asleep during nursing when she was a newborn. The lactation consultant told me that it is totally okay, especially at that age, and sometimes you have to just let them sleep or else they won't eat.

I would try waking her up and she just wouldn't stir, and I wasn't going to stop nursing her because she was asleep or else she really wouldn't have gotten any food in those first few weeks.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• And it never turned into a bad habit for her. She's completely awake at her feeding now. She's almost 7 months.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009