My daughter is 7 months, should she e getting a daily snack?

She eats solids 3 times a day and nurses 5 times a day. In the afternoon after I nurse her she seems to want more (but not breast milk) but it's too early for "dinner". Should I be giving her a snack? Any suggestions as to what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We were giving three meals and three snacks at that age.

Breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    supper
    snack
    (about 1 hour later, bed)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't see what it would hurt. Maybe some soft crackers or cheerios.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Maybe you could try some Gerber puffs. They dissolve so you don't have to worry as much about choking, and my kids loved them.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You need to book, "Feed me, I'm Yours" It has alot of good ideas and recipes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• With three meals a day, that's already a lot of solids for a seven month old, I wouldnt add a snack to it. It's vital that she gets enough breastmilk throughout the day, and the more solids you give her the less breastmilk she'll take it. Remember, solid foods are only for practice until she's 12 months old, and even then babies only need about a quarter of their nutrition from solids.

If she finishes nursing and seems to want more, offer the other breast. Let her nurse as often as she wants for as long as she wants, THEN offer solids.

Good job sticking with breastfeeding for so long :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If she is hungry give her some banana or something. My son wasn't really interested in food at 7 months...he is only just eating two meals a day at 16 months. Still loves his breastmilk!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• gerber makes veggies n puffed cereal that practically dissolves in your mouth...thats what i gave my daughter when she wantet a lil something extra...plus it helps them learn how to self feed, because there just the right size for lil fingers to pick up...if she sit's on her own...id give it a try...just watch and make sure she dosen't choke,
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 7:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter is also 7 mos. , and likewise eats 3 meals and nurses about 5 times. This seems to be enough for her but if she seemed hungry I would give her something. Does your daughter drink much water? If she nurses as much as she wants and still seems hungry I would try offering water and maybe a light, small portion of fruit for a snack mid-afternoon. I'm a first-time mom so i'm new at this. I'm using the Super Baby Food book (by Jan Yaron, i think.)
    bethai

Answer by bethai at 9:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2009