Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to go for help for my baby girl?

Ivana was born at 271/2 weeks. I had to have an emergency c-section done before her and I both lost our lives. She has asthma and respiratory distress syndrom. Over the years she has become more and more vilolent, and it is not just towards herself anymore. She has issues on paying attention and on getting attention. Her temper tantrums are outragous to the point to where I am a human stray jacket so she doesn't hurt herself or others, nor through herself into an asthma attack. I have been given the run around from welfare, social security and even dept. of behavioral health. What resources are left for me to get help, not with just her, but for us (me and her...her older brothers and baby brother too). Not with medication but with counseling and support.

Answer Question

Asked by 5areallmine at 5:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Find a child therapist. THey are willing to work with you on price and some even do free cases. Have her see someone and you as well. Do separate sessions then slowly do sessions together. Have your dr refer you for a behavior test to test for anything and everything.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • check into Sensory Integration Disorder. It is more common with preemies and kids with other illness/disabilities.


    Answer by Kiter at 5:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • I don't know where you are located, but in my town at the university, they have a huge child behavior program, and they will often take on cases for free or for a discounted price. You could see if your local college or university has any programs like this, they have licensed behavioral counselors and therapists who will create a program to help your child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • That doesn't sound like SPD, and I have two with it.

    Call the school district special education department, check with your pediatrician about seeing a developmental pediatrician. You need to find out what's going on to be able to help her correctly. The school district will have her evaluated (no cost to you) and then they will offer what resources they have and direct you where they think you need to go.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • SPD is different in different kids. It sounds like me and my youngest son's SPD, but not like the SPD of my older 2.

    (SPD -Sensory Processing Disorder-is the same as SID-Sensory Integration Disorder)

    Answer by Kiter at 6:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • check your local child find office

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

  • The first thing that I thought was asberger's syndrome (spelling?) I had a boy with AS in my gym class and he would be very violent and attack other students.

    Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.