Does this happen where you live?

I was loading my car up after leaving The Gap, with my two boys...this 'geeky' looking guy pulled up next to my suv in a small truck and rolls down his window. He acts nervously and starts acting like he is doing something. Yeah, creepy. I am still buckling up my kids and stuff. Then I walk around to my door (where he is parked) and of course, he says "excuse me..." and asks if I know where another city is. I do because we are from there and I told him 2 1/2 hours. He asks if I'm sure and then says he drove from Alabama and asks me to buy him 6 gallons of gas and if I have a business card he can get it back to me. Are you serious???? No, I don't have money to give you and I am not giving you my business card. Has anything like this happened to anyone? It made me really uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Shopping

• Yes, this has happened to me three times this year. I actually never carry more than $10 because I buy almost everything with my credit card. The first time it happened at a gas station. My husband and daughter were in the car with me. I was pumping gas and this guy comes up and asks for $ for gas. I honestly told him that I didn't have any cash (not that I would have given him any if I did). The second time was at Best Buy. We were leaving the store and my husband was putting my daughter in the car seat. I was sitting next to my daughter in the back seat. When my husband finished buckling up my daughter, he turned around and this lady came out of nowhere asking for $. The third time was at a truck stop. We were traveling in our RV and this guy comes up wanting to sell us gas. He said that he would put $200 (big rv tank) worth of gas in our vehicle for $50. My husband has actually just finished putting gas in the RV....

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope...I mean homeless people will ask for money but that's about it.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 5:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i've had stuff like that happen to me before but never with my kids with me. But we live in a fairly small town where everyone is pretty friendly but just the fact of having my kids with me and someone acting creepy and then having the balls to ask for money would make me a bit skeptical of him too.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No this has never happened to me! That sounds so foriegn to me, I mean I believe it happened it's just all very crazy to me!
    Anonymous

• OP Here- I though for a mintue he better watch his @#$ becasue my mommy instincts were gonna kick in. LOL
    Anonymous

• nope not really I have that do not mess with me look.Just by the look I give or my attitude they will leave me alone.I was downtown buying for my business and this bumb came up to my mother and law,while I was getting the car out of a parking garage and I pulled up and said something and he told me .I one the bitch award of the year,
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 11:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• amazing, driver ask for gas money, lol
    savingjmom

Answer by savingjmom at 5:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That would creep me out. I'm glad you didn't give him your info!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i rarely answer questions seriously, i try to keep it light ya know, but i think this is a scary world and all women especially those with young children should be aware when getting them in the car in shopping centers. we've had several women get kidnapped and killed recently in broad daylight. several robbings and beatings. 3 girls approached a woman and robbed her two weeks ago. people are becoming desperate. its crazy. i carry a baseball bat in the back of my suv no joke. i dont live in a high crime area. there are a lot of malls and other shopping centers around and they're being targeted. if you feel weird, trust your gut. that fear is a warning sign of danger lurking. always have your keys ready, dont be on your cell, check your back seats before entering the car, put your purse in with your kids.and if worst case scenerio occurs, start screaming. this guy that approached you could have wanted more. you never know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That's creepy. I would have not spoken and got into my car. If he's lost he needs to go to a gas station.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009