Feeding my 1 year old

My dd turned one year old, but I'm still not exactly sure how much/what to feed her. Up till now we've just really been giving her fruit in the morning (sometimes eggs and pancakes, which she won't eat much of), veggie at lunch, and a jar of baby food for dinner. We will also toss in a couple of snacks before naptime and bedtime of cheerios and fruit before bed. Any suggestions, or just telling me what you do would be appreciated. Thanks

BridgetFilbrun

Asked by BridgetFilbrun at 5:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really at this age you can just about feed her what ever you eat. of course in moderation and in smaller pieces so she won't choke. she cannot have peanut butter and the other food children are not supposed to have due to allergy concerns. don't take offense to this next comment but-- you as a mom have to have a little common sense when it comes to deciding what you are comfortable with giving her. i did not mean that in a negative way. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my son will be 1 this sunday (yaaaaay) I pretty much feed him table foods now, since he has no interest in pureed baby food, but will sometimes offer homemade/organic jarred baby foods as a snack, sometimes as a dip with crackers or as a side dish. yesterday he had some nicely portioned meals and he gobbled it down: breakfast: chopped up banana, and org. jarred oatmeal/apples/cinnamon. lunch: chopped up steamed sw. potatoes and chopped green pepper. Dinner: pasta w/ spinach. he doesnt get snacks too often, but I usually offer crackers or steamed veggies with a cream cheese dip. and yes I steal a few for myself lol. i'm also weaning him off fomula and he has self-weaned to one nursing session a day.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My daughter started being a picky eater at 12 months and it's been that way since. She's 17 months now and it's always up and down with her. Just make sure your DD is getting whole milk (if ok'd by doc) and try pedisure, it has vitamins they might miss when they start a picky phase. Just try to be encouraging, don't force her to eat anything, and try to get her to eat a variety of different kinds of foods. Watch out for food allergies though. My DD is allergic to eggs. Watch for any signs of food allergies and make a note of it and talk to the doc about it. Avoid peanuts or peanut products until she's two.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 6:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Fix a plate for her from the food you're eating at your meals. A toddler's portion is generally about 1/4 that of an adult portion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009