My daughter is 13 months and still wakes up two or more times a night. Is this natural?

This is my first child and I love love love spending time with her. However, Mommy & Daddy need their sleep too. My Daughter still wakes 2 or more times a night.

mrsmendoza2006

Asked by mrsmendoza2006 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's habit at this point.
    What do you do when she wakes up? Do you give her a bottle, rock her to sleep, sing to her, etc? Stop. All you are doing is reinforcing her waking up.
    If she is no longer pooping in her sleep, consider putting her in a Huggies Overnight diaper and not even changing her in the night - but only if you are very certain she won't poop. The less interaction and activity from you, the better.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• its true. now its habit. I had a son who I swear hated to sleep at night but I had to do some tough love of crying it out to help him learn how to self sooth himself back to sleep - that's not for everyone but there are many methods to try to get her to sleep through the night. A book that helped me was healthy sleep habits, happy child -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14...Let her cry alittle she will eventually go back to sleep.
    Try practicing during the day that way you can be more at ease about it.
    Just make sure at night she if fed, changed and comfty make sure you fold tthat piece of the diaper over those tapes on the diaper just to make sure it is not poking her. GL
    P.S. she will stop doing this after awhile before you know you and your babygirl will be getting all that beauty sleep that us girls need :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Actually, it is natural, otherwise you wouldn't have to "force" it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It is VERY natural, that's why everybody has to deal with babies that don't sleep all that well, we have to LEARN how to sleep well. Keep on giving your baby what she needs, and she'll eventually learn to sleep better. I learned to drink Acai juice with green tea to give me that boost of energy I need during the day.

PosterOfAGirl

Answer by PosterOfAGirl at 6:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It is absolutely normal. It's not natural for infants to sleep through the night, actually. The No-Cry Sleep Solution talks about how different kids' sleep cycles are from adults, it offers a lot of insight and advice. Congratulations on having a healthy child, you're doing great!

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 6:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have a 20 month old and he still gets up thru the nite and i tried everything. I've just adjusted to the sleep schedule and i try to nap when he naps...ya right! The way I see it is every child is different in their own way...Best of luck
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 6:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son is almost 18 months and still wakes up during the night. I don't go in he plays for a few minutes and goes back to sleep. Even if he fusses, I let him fuss. He also sleeps with a sippy of water. So he can have a drink and then go back to sleep.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yea it's natural. She'll sleep through when she's ready. If it's any comfort to you, my 12 month old wakes up multiple times(3 or more) every night to nurse. If your willing, try co-sleeping. It works miracles for how much sleep your able to get :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I use to think it was natural, and I said that until my son was 10 months old, my husband and I both working full time and my son was up 3-4 hours a night being rocked. After about a week of this we decided we absolutely must let him work on getting himself back to sleep. He was putting himself to sleep within 4 days (although I miss rocking him). If she is still waking to feed, try just giving a little juice or water rather than a bottle.
    If she takes a pacifier make sure she has plenty in the crib she can find. We put one in each corner of the bed. Also, we put a teething toy in the bed that makes noises and we would hear him in there playing with it.
    If he wakes up in the middle of night he can find a pacifier if that is what he wants or he plays a little bit and goes right back to sleep within 10 minutes or so.
    The crying is a little hard to take, but if you can give it a few days it will get better quickly!
    AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009