omg today i learned something that turned my world around

so in english class im reading James Joyce's Ulesseys and Gnostics were brought up in stephen's part, and the professor explained what Gnostics were and that they believe there is Jesus, God and the demiurge, which is like God's handy man, and they wrote parts to go into the bible and those parts were edited out and then found later by a farmer in Isreal.... and it made me wonder, how much of the bible is left out? how much do we REALLY know? its a total mindf**k to me, pardon my English.

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 5:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I really like the Gnostic gospels. The Gospel of Thomas is my favourite. This is part of the reason why I will never take the Bible (or any other text) completely literally- because there are politics when it comes to what becomes canon and what doesn't. The Gospel of Thomas includes the lines about the Kingdom of God being inside you and within nature... seems like fewer people would pay tithes to the church if they believed they could find God by lifting a stone or splitting a piece of wood.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• That's why I don't believe in God! The bible was just written by people just like you and me! How much is fabricated or exaggerated?? I watched a really interesting show on Discovery channel one night about Noah and his Ark. It was all about how Noah was actually a business man. He built that ark to protect the animals from the flood, because he was going to sell the animals and some beer! It was really interesting. Sorry I went off on that a bit!
    Anonymous

• There are alot of storys, chapters, or books as they were called that were left out, some say because it did not mesh with the rest, others because the auther could not be identified, or parts were left out because the "clergymen" did not agree with what it said. Many writting were left out and or destroyed.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• That's why I am on a quest for my own spiritual path. I will not just accept the King James or whatever Bible. I will decide own my own what is true for me. Some stuff was left out and some was changed to fit what certain people wanted. So, how can I just fall for it hook line and sinker?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Tons of it are left out, because there wasn't a single bible to start with. Every parish had it's own idea of what was taught and what wasn't. It was hundreds of years before the Vatican sat down and went through all the different books that were in use around the continent, threw out the ones they didn't like, and standardized the ones they did. Until that happened, a bible in Sicily and a bible in Bethlehem could be entirely different documents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• in the same class a girl was telling me how the story of Jezebel was edited to the extreme, her name meant Princess of Avalon and they made it into Whore of Babylon because she was a Pagan and they made her look really bad and evil..... she said she saw it on the History channel
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• lol i meant princess of babylon not avalon...
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Read the book of Mary M. it explains quite a bit.
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• there are some really interesting history channel shows about the Bible where they talk about these books. these are actual Bible scholars & theologians, not just TV ppl. when you see just how many books were left out of the old & new testaments it raises lots of questions. majority of the scholars believe that several of the left out books were actually written after the first Bibles were put together.

i believe in Jesus & God, but the 100% true literal perfect Bible...not so much. its a good tool to live by & a lot of important things are in there...but man is just too imperfect for the Bible to have made it thru all the changes & translations w/o any errors...but thats JMO.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• There is a TON of stuff left out of the bible. I just watched a show on it on the History Channel the other night. In fact there were TWO versions of Revelation.....a bunch of dudes got together and voted that one was a better story. Really believable reason huh????
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2009