poaching eggs

This is probably going to sound really stupid. I " inheaeted" a egg poacher from my great aunt who is dying from cancer. I remember having poache deggs at her house many times as a child and loved them but have never made them myself. I know that you have to put water in the bottom of the pan but what do you do with the egg cups? Do they need to be greased or sprayed with anything? Howlong do I cook the eggs for?

LadySaphira

Asked by LadySaphira at 5:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I never put anything on the egg cups, the water works pretty well creating humidity to lubricate the eggs. I don't even use cups...just put a little tiny bit of vinegar in the water and I use the rings from a ball jar...it keeps the egg pretty together. Watch your eggs, you should be able to tell when they're ready. Keep them in longer if you want them poached hard...you can cover them too and this will cook them faster. Practice makes perfect.
    graciesmom164

Answer by graciesmom164 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009