My 8 year old told his friends he smokes!

My son told his buddies at school that he smokes and his parents are okay with it. WHAT? We do not smoke at all, his grandma smokes but only outside her own house. I asked him why and he said he wanted them to think he was cool. I told him all the bad health and appearance effects and how it kills people even if they are not the ones smoking (second hand), and that he needed to set his friends straight, and it is not "cool" by any means. Any suggestions to talk with him about peer pressure, being "cool" without being "bad or distructive". I started smoking when I was 11, and his dad was smoking at 9 or 10 (we both quit before having kids), so I know it is possible for a kid that age to get them. What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• could just be a kid wanting to be "cool" i mean how many kids do things or say things these days jst to e "cool"?
    Anonymous

• agree with ^
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009