How did you wean your breastfed baby into cow's milk and when?

I have breastfed all my children. LOL sounds like a lot of kids huh? Only 2 boys and 1 girl. The first was 1 month and the second was 6 months, but with my princess, well she is still going at it...she is going to be 1 next week and I am having debates about how and when to wean her off. She has yogurts, cheeses and all types of foods so I know her system does tolerate it. There are reasons why and why not to wean her at 1, but just need to make a decision soon. Either way, I will have to wean her off at some point. Perhaps she can nurse morning and night only and have cow milk in the day time...IN a sippy cup or Bottle???? she has never had a bottle...only breast... I am confussed. I do see the benefits for her, but I do want to make a a good choice for BOTH of us. Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences. Thanks.

BusinessMom123

Asked by BusinessMom123 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, she doesn't need cow's milk at all if you don't want to wean. I believe in extended nursing. My 25 month old has never had cow's milk. He's still nursing. He gets water, soy milk(rarely) and juice at times too.

Whatever you do, don't offer a bottle at this age. It's not good for teeth after 12 months and she'll do fine with a sippy cup.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my son was FF and i started weaning him from bottle to tippy at 10 months, and from formula to milk at 12 months.
    Anonymous

• The World Health Organization suggests breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years. The American Academy of Pediatrics says a MINIMUM of one year, and then to continue as long as mutually desired. There is no upper limit, there is no harm in extended nursing. ALL children will wean themselves, it just may not be when mom planned! Most kids will wean on their own between 2 and 4 yrs old. There are lots of benefits to continuing. Check out "Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet" at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

LIke you siad, it does not have to be "all or nothing", you can keep nursing a couple of times a day and offer her cows milk in a sippy cup with meals.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When my little girl was a baby she was getting close to a year old and i nursed her at night only and then in the day time she had cows milk in her cup so i guess its up to you how you feel.
    txbran

Answer by txbran at 7:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Great job making it to a year, mama! My son is 15 months and is getting cow's milk, cheese, and yogurt - he's also still breastfeeding on demand. I don't see any reason for me to get him taking cow's milk from a bottle when nursing him gives him the milk that is made for him and just works so well for us. Nursing past a year has benefits, so if it's not a problem for you to keep nursing her then there's no need to wean.

Whatever you do, do it gradually, and enjoy it. I know a year seems like a really long time, but when she's 18 and headed off to college, it will seem like the blink of an eye.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Why have you never expressed the milk and either fed from bottle or sippy cup? Also, my daugher had lead poisoning and if she could smell her medicine, she wouldn't take it. So I put it into her bottle, and kept giving it to her long after one year. Her teeth are fine.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh, I want to add to my question an comment, the my baby girl STILL wakes thru the night at least once or twice...about every 4-5 hours on average. She wants to nurse for about 10-15mins. then she goes back to sleep. The is particularly one of the reasons for wanting to wean her off Breastmilk, so she is not dependent of it thru the night. What do you suggest for the night tim? She goes to bed 8:30/9PM. And depending on the night...she wakes up at 1 or 2 or 3AM then again 7AM and may go back to sleep for an hour or so.... Any suggestions on night routine? My doc. said to offer her water, but she just wants her bF. Thanks again ladies. I will go back and review all your answers and do some research.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It sounds like perhaps you'd like to do some nighttime weaning :-) La Leche League has a good article on "Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing" at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMayJune04p106.html

Several moms share tips on how they weaned their 1 yr old from nighttime nursing. I eliminated nighttime nursing with my babies when they were a year old. Often this is the "break" that mom needs!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009