C-Section "Choice"?

So I went to my first prenatal visit today. Everything was going fine until my Dr. said that because I had stage 4 lacerations with my son, he didn't recommend me having any further vaginal deliveries. That if I did he wasn't sure that he/they'd be able to fix me down there all the way if I ripped like that again. And then he tells me it's my choice. I read the magazines and all but I've also heard the horror stories and I dunno what to do. And I feel like I've failed because of it, I mean really - I'm only 22. It's not the same and part of me is, admittedly, disappointed and hurt. Any ideas or advice? And is C-Section really THAT bad?

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 6:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You know, you are less likely to tear if:

A.) You perform perineal massages regularly to help vaginal elasticity.

B.) You birth in any position OTHER than on your back. The back is the worst position to birth in because it narrows your pelvis and can heighten the chances of tearing. If you squat using a birthing stool or squat bar, you have the least chances of tearing and the birth would be shorter because your positioning is helping the baby move downward faster.

There are plenty of doctors who support alternative birthing positions to help labor and delivery (though your doctor doesn't sound like one of them.) and plenty of ways to help prevent tearing. Just because you've torn once also does not mean you will tear again.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, a C-section is not that bad. I have had 4. I felt like "less of a woman" with my 3rd and even cried. But I realize now that it is okay. I would have liked the experience of a vaginal, but it sound like you have already had one. One thing to remember with a C-section is to stand up straight! I hunched over with my first, babying my incision, then when I actually stood up tall I could feel the muscles stretching. I learned after that. lol.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 6:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, I've had two. I was up and walking around about 4 hours after my second c section. Healed faster than my gf who had a vaginal delivery. I know many people think C sections are bad, but I don't think I'd ever want to go through another vaginal delivery after being ripped open like that.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I am thinking of actually doing a C section because I am afraid of vaginal delivery..
    But either way seems to suck to me..lol,...I've never had a baby though so my opinion is from fear or giving birth.
    babymomma4

Answer by babymomma4 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Littlemrsmarcel has some great tips. Most hospitals have a squat bar...this is an AWESOME tool to use because squatting during pushing OPENS UP your pelvis 30%, while laying on your back actually makes it SMALLER. There are also other factors to consider WHY you tore like you did. Did you have an epidural? Were forceps or vaccuum used? Did your doctor cut you first (this almost always leads to more tearing, think of a t-shirt that stretches when you try to rip it vs. a t-shirt that you first cut and then pull, same concept)?

So, what I would do if I were you is try to figure out what caused you to have such severe tearing and see if there is anything you can do to avoid it happening again. I would still say that a major incision through skin, fat, tissues, and muscles is much more severe than vaginal lacerations, although I'm sure we all cringe at that thought. Best wishes.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Honestly, you should do what is best for your body. I found out I have a 2 inch benign tumor on my ovary and they want to do a c-section on me so they can take the baby and the tumor all at once. At first I was frustrated because I felt that my choice was taken from me but then I realized. I need to do what is best for my body and my health. If you and your body arent healing well then you can't give your baby the care that it deserves.
    Alisha1221

Answer by Alisha1221 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009