An 8 year old smoking?

My son told his buddies at school that he smokes and his parents are okay with it. WHAT? We do not smoke at all, his grandma smokes but only outside her own house. I asked him why and he said he wanted them to think he was cool. I told him all the bad health and appearance effects and how it kills people even if they are not the ones smoking (second hand), and that he needed to set his friends straight, and it is not "cool" by any means. Any suggestions to talk with him about peer pressure, being "cool" without being "bad or distructive". I started smoking when I was 11, and his dad was smoking at 9 or 10 (we both quit before having kids), so I know it is possible for a kid that age to get them. What to do? PIOG

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hmmm I havent a clue, but you were right to tell him no it isnt cool, andto have that "talk" with him about smoking! i had my first cig when I was maybe 8 or 9. I was never around it. I didnt inhale either because didnt know how lol. I hope my son doesnt do that because I still smoke on occasion
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• hmmm there are many angles to go. you can show him th physical effect on smoking. Build up his sewlf esteem in mamy ways.... show him that he doesn't need anyone;s approval to be important and to matter, not allow him around these friends without your supervision if necessary. These are just some things you can do. Ohhh and talk to him about lying and the consequences of that.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Wow no idea. You did really good though. My SO started smoking when he was 8, and pot too. It's scary to realize that happens, I grew up pretty sheltered and have never smoked.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 6:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Show him pics of the damage that smoking does to your body.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think you did the right thing by informing him on what ciggs really do.. you did your part. If it keeps on reacurring i think you should maybe talk to the school bacause nowadays if its that early that kids feel the need to tell thier friends they smoke to feel cool schools should start ths drug program at an earlier age than what i thought. Your a good parent for letting it be known to your kid. I will be praying for you.
    mizzlina

Answer by mizzlina at 9:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• well kids don't ever really learn from showing them the effects and all that talk. I never listened. I was told to not do drugs all through life, and high school hit and sure enough I tried them. So its best for this age to be scared into not attempting to have them in his possesion. If he knows that there are smoking tickets that cops give out and severe punishment from you he is more likely to steer clear of having them. Tell him that if you find out he has them or smoked, you will ground him and make him hand them in to the school principle....or something like that
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 6:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Wow - I cant really help you on this one. But you made me think what I would do if it were my Son. I guess the worlds changing - wow 8 yo. GL - :)

P.S. = you have gotten some great responces here.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2009