Infant reflux question

If an infant has reflux does that mean their immune system is weaker than most?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so. My son had relux, he was a "happy spitter" as it's called. He had no other health issues and even the spitting up didn't bother him at all (but it bothered me). He outgrew it by 9 months of age and has no health problems at all.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My nephew had horrible reflux and it was because he didn't have the sphincter valve at the top of his stomach. They didn't find it until he was 11 years old. Then they did surgery and corrected it, but it took the doctors forever to find it (including LOTS of saying the mom was crazy or that my nephew was ADD and looking for attention!). If it is really bad, take your child to the doctor and don't give up until you have some decent answers.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 6:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• They found out he had this while he was in the NICU step down unit and gave me pepcid for him. Its been working so far still crankfests everynight before bed and one spit up a day is common. They had done an ultrasound on his tummy to make sure the one thing wasnt smaller than it should be so if he was missing it I would have they would have found it. I know I said about reflux and they wanted to do an Upper GI on him but the pepcid did the trick so they let it go since it was obvious there was no blockage. He is colic baby and has been on nutramgin for weeks now and its been ok minus the cranfest nightly for 3-5 hours!
    Anonymous

• My son had that and it was awful. Connor could throw up like he was on the Exorcist. All we were missing was the pea soup. Geez. I never got to carry the little cute diaper bags when we went some place. I had to bring luggage. I brought about 6-8 outifts because I knew as soon as he ate just give it 20 minutes and it would come back up---with some distance. I felt so bad for him I know his throat was sore.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It has nothing to do with the immune system it has to do with their body not being mature enough... and just just the tendency towards reflux... adults have reflux too (heart burn)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I've had too moderate to severe refluxers (on who could projectile vomit through his nose) and one happy spitter. Their immune systems are great, though the spitter is healthier than the other 2 because she brings it home and gives it to everyone. She was the only one who had antibiotics before 1 year. And with the 3 of them, the oldest being 11, together they've had maybe 15 prescription for antibiotics. The reflux and general health are really not related from what I know. there may be a connection to asthma, according to some studies (which as we all know can change in the blink of an eye.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2009