What do I need to know about gastroschesis?

I found out my baby has gastroschesis. I want to know as much as possible. I am so nervous and afraid of what is going to happen. My mother died recently and I don't have any family nearby. This is so confusing and scary to me. What's going to happen to my baby?

23mommy2B

Asked by 23mommy2B at 7:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would do some research and talk to your OB. Gl to you and sorry about your mother.

Anonymous

• Ok. Don't freak out. When my son was at Texas Children's Hospital there was another newborn boy that was a few beds away that was born with this. His intestines were born on the outside of his body. The doctors took the time to let the intestines go back into the body by suspending them in a tube above the stomach. Once they went back into the body the stomach was sewn up.

This can be fixed. Don't worry. Please don't be so scared. This will be ok. Medicine has come so far that things 80 years ago aren't anything more than a surgery in today's time and your baby will be fine. Once the intestines are put back in your son/daughter will be monitored closely to make certain they can have bowel movements on their own. Once that happens then yall are all good.

Put this is God's hands. He won't put more on you than He knows you can handle. Prayers to you and your new little one. It will be ok Mommy.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As the previous poster said, please don't be scared. A good friend of mine recently birthed her son who has this. From the ultrasound they were able to determine how much of the intestine was outside of the body. It wasn't as much as they feared and she was actually able to deliver him vaginally without issue. They immediately took him away and did the small procedure as described above by the previous poster and he's been wonderful ever since. Babies are quite resilient creatures. =) Keep the faith, everything will work out just fine. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 7:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I saw this happen on the " birthday " channel and the babies intestines were on the outside and all. I guess the scary part for me would be having my baby go thru surgery so early in life, but luckily it is a curable lil problem and doctors know how to fix it.

After they did surgery on the baby on the show, everything was fine.
    This is scary though for any one to go thru. Good luck with everything.
    Anonymous

• kudos to lilbit and littlemrs. medicine has come so far that this can be fixed! Everythings going to be fine and I keep you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 9:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009