do you teach your kids to fight back?

my 6yr is in kindergarten we dont live in the "best" of neighborhoods for the past couple of weeks there have differant boys at her school and on the bus that have been pushing her or being mean to her, the bullies are not friends and its been diff times for each so they are not ganging up on her but yest one boy grabbed her by her neck and threw her down he went home yest from school and today when came back he told her he was in love with her!? but this afternoon a boy on the school bus threw her backpack out the window, hes in the first grade she said hes usually nice to her, im not sure what to do here everyday some lil boy does something to her i dont want her to be bullied but i dont want her to be a bitch eaither she tells them to leave her alone and she tells the teacher when someone is mean to her but i think they just like her. how would u handle this

medic_mom242

Asked by medic_mom242 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go directly to the principal of her school and the bus driver. Also I would drive her to school and pick her up if possible. Good luck to you and your baby girl.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• martial arts classes! and what first poster said as well
    Anonymous

• well i work from 4a-430pm so i cant drive her to and from school and it boys n her class to
    medic_mom242

Answer by medic_mom242 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I sure do
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• heres how my kids work, you don't pick/start a fight that is just damn wrong and mean but if you are getting picked on you stand up for yourself!!!! my 3yr old son was hit in the face with a stick at the park i took it up with the kids mother but in the meantime my 3yr old said stop it that isn't nice, the little mean kid hit him again my son warned him if you hit me again i'm going to hit you back! that demon child hit him again... meanwhile i'm still arguing with the mother of this demon child...my son jerked the stick out of the boys hand and wacked him one good time in the arm then took the stick and tossed it in the trash... that other child left him alone.... i think you need to set up a meeting with the principal and bus driver... does the bus driver not pay attention? wtf
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• In that kind of neighborhood, I'd be teaching her to throw the first punch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son (who is 7 1/2) has been told how to handle bullying. First, he has to tell the teacher. Second, tell the teacher again, third, tell her again. Past that, I don't think he should just have to put up with it. If the other child does something again, I have told him what to tell the other kid. That hurts, or I don't like it when you do that. Then my son has been told to do it back, if he is being hit, hit them back. I have even told him to get the bully good, hit him just as hard as he hit you. I don't think violence is really an answer to anything, but it's hard to teach my son to just sit back and get hit, punched, or physically hurt. So far he hasn't had to go the route of hitting back. If it got go be a bad problem I would certainly go to the parent or teacher if it's in school. I have even been that mean momma at the park who will tell a lone child EXACTLY what they are doing wrong and that they need to quit.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009