To all breastfeeding mothers...

Here's the deal. My DD is almost 5 months old, and about a month ago I began feeling all crazy about breastfeeding, like I didn't want to breastfeed at all!! (I think it may have been because I quit taking my Lexapro for PPD, but I'm not sure) And now I really want to start breastfeeding again. I've tried Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea, but it doesn't seem to really be working. I've heard all the stories about moms breasts becoming engorged after just one day of taking Fenugreek, and well nothing near engorgement has happened for me! I'm trying to breastfeed, but my DD who happens to be teething will suck for a little while and then she starts just to just play around with my boob. Like she will just be pulling it in and out of her mouth and chewing on it, and the she gets really mad, and obviously I don't want her to be starving or upset so I give her a bottle... I really need some advice here.. I want so bad to...continued

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 7:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• continue breastfeeding and I feel horrible for ever stopping! Any advice or support would really be helpful, especially if you've ever been in this situation! TIA!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Are you producing milk...you didnt really say you were or not, you kind of leaned that way with it. If you ARE producing something and just not enough for it to be a one meal deal for her I would let her suckle what she can and then give her the bottle like you are. Look at it this way hun, you are still bonding and still giving her a little bit of the best so no worries. Try a nursing necklace...Just make one really or go to the kids section and pick the tackiest most colorful one you can find. While your daughter is eating encourage her to play with that...it helped my son not to play with my breasts when he was nursing..gl mommy.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Keep nursing on demand not a schedule and get a supplemental nursing system. This will keep her at the breast to stimulate milk production and pump as much as you can. Check out www.kellymom.com section on relactating.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I'm not producing much milk. I noticed a little today when I would hand express, but its more colostrum than anything. I tried pumping too, and it took forever to get just a few drops out. Its really discouraging. :(
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Try pumping in between. And rather than the fenugreek try the supplement More milk plus... I had MUCH better luck with that supplement.
    If that doesn't work maybe ask for a prescription for Reglan... but use with caustion... one of the side effects can be depression.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You can take all the Fenugreek in the world but if you are not frequently removing milk from your breasts (baby nursing and/or pumping) then you won't make more milk. Keep encouraging baby to nurse, even if it is just for short times. Spen lots of time skin to skin with your baby, take baths together.

Try giving baby MOST of her feeding by bottle, and then having her finish at the breast. Get a nursing supplementer so that you can feed her at the breast. Go to http://lowmilksupply.org/abs.shtml

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I strongly advise against Reglan with a history of PPD!! Try Domperidone instead: http://lowmilksupply.org/domperidone.shtml

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I strongly suggest that you breastfeed and use the pump as much as possible to stimulate the production of milk. Drinking alot of fluids will help as well, water and milk worked best for me , My baby is now 6 mths ( actually tomorrow) and he is on Breast milk ALONE.....

Relax, and just put the baby to the breast and she will start wanitng it more and more

Best of Luck
    JATRINIMOM

Answer by JATRINIMOM at 9:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• you could just pump!
    and just breast feed at night
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009