President Barack Obama absolved the CIA from prosecution. What you think?

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama absolved the CIA from prosecution for harsh, painful interrogation of terror suspects Thursday, even as his administration released Bush-era memos graphically detailing — and authorizing — such grim tactics as slamming detainees against walls, waterboarding them and keeping them naked and cold for long periods.
Human rights groups and many Obama officials have condemned such methods as torture. Bush officials have vigorously disagreed.
In releasing the documents, the most comprehensive accounting yet of interrogation methods that were among the Bush administrations most closely guarded secrets, Obama said he wanted to move beyond "a dark and painful chapter in our history."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think someone slapped an ounce of sense through his thick skull.
    Anonymous

• I think it's great and it's fair. the agents like soldiers follow orders and should not be punish for following said orders
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think it's fairly common for presidents to forgive past administrations. I disagree, I think he should lead a investigation of these matters, but I suppose it would be a lot of trouble and a drain of resources.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with Obama on this. However I do think they should go after those who gave the orders and those who justified it legally.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with Obama. I think they were following orders. I think the Bush admin should be accountable for it, and I don't think history will look kindly upon Bush, so he will get his in the end!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

I agree with this. You have to follow orders, same goes with the military...We can't have soldiers debating orders as they receive them on the battlefield It weakens them. There is a chain of command to be followed, so whomever issued the orders should be prosecuted

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think that it was stupid to even think about bringing charges against ANYONE. Some people have no clue just how rough it really is out there. If people had any idea they wouldn't care what was used as long as they could put their head on their pillow every night and no all is safe in their world.

You can't coddle a terrorist.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think this was absolutely wrong. People who commited atrosities, torture and war crimes were prosecuted after WWII, they were prosecuted after Vietnam and they should be prosecuted to this day. No one should be forgiven for treating other human beings in this manner, no matter who they are. People who do things like this when they know its wrong have a choice. These were not soldiers they were CIA agents. They would never have soldiers do this because they have to work within the law. The only reason why these CIA agents were forgiven is because any investigation and court proceeding would necessarily require people right on up to Bush to give testimony and who knows where that might lead. There is no doubt that they are guilty, but if they don't do anything about it the hope is just like 911, people will move on and forget all about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• There is no proof that all the men held are terroists, they have never been formally charged, nor have they had the opportunity of a trial! Don't do anything about these CIA agents, but just the other day John Demjanjuk, who is 89-years-old and ill (by the way he has been living here in the U.S. for years without issue, but suddenly after Obama's Apology Tour to Europe, now he is being deported) was picked up and is being sent to Germany to stand trial for being a guard in a Nazi death camp. This man apparently deserves to be tried, but CIA agents do not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• There should be a Congressional inquiry and if appropriate, charges should be laid. Torture is outlawed by international conventions and treaties to which I believe the US is a signatory, so there may be a prima facie case for indicting Bush and his co-conspirators for war crimes or on some similar charges. The US needs to publicly expunge this blot on its international reputation in a more public and honest manner than Obama is doing.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009