Is it normal to be 39weeks and have no contractions or braxton hicks?

I really dont want to go overdue but I have 2 weeks left. Im pretty sure I havnt felt anything.
How would you describe contraction pains?
Thanks:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• To me they felt like my son's head was being pushed down into my cervix. It sucked!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I went in to be induced23 days after what they told me my due date was, which was the day before what I figured it up to be and I never had braxton hicks and I didnt know I was having contractions until they were getting ready to induce and they hooked me up to a machine and said I was already having contractions...to me it was just pressure...it just felt like she was stretching out in my stomach.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Sorry meant to say 2 days after my due date*
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It's fine, I didnt have any of that and I was 2 weeks past due, so they had to induce me
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 7:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• With my dd --i never had braxton hicks or anything--and they finally induced me 5days overdue--Braxton hicks contractions just feel like your stomach is really tight and hard and its hard to breath.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 8:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• braxton hicks felt like my son was either head-butting the front/top of my uterus, or like he was pressing his butt up against it. I didn't realize it was contractions until a nurse told me "Look! A contraction!"

Labor contractions were strong, sort of a tightening. The contractions themselves weren't painful, the pressure on my cervix was. But moving around helped that a lot. Dancing up against the wall, particularly. Sort of a forrest-gump dance, actually. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 8:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You may not be feeling the braxton hicks contractions, they are not always obvious. Also, remember that you're due date is in 2 weeks, which would be 40 weeks of your pregnancy, but normal pregnancy is 38-42 weeks, so you could have baby any day or you could wait 4 more weeks.

You may notice at this point that when you do certain activities (lots of walking, sex, etc) your stomach hardens a bit, those are the braxton hicks contractions. When they become patterned and increase in intensity and length, they are the real ones.

When labor is here in full force, you won't have to question it and there's nothing wrong at all with not having felt anything at this point. All of us grow our babies differently and our bodies respond differently to it and prepare in different ways also. While we have textbooks to refer to the basics, we don't all fall into a black or white area.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009