Is it normal for a baby to go a few days without having a bowel movment?

He is 3 weeks old and he goes 2 or 3 days a week with out pooping. I called the doctor and they said it was fine but I just don't think its normal. You can tell he needs to go and try's to go and he is really gassy

Eschal

Asked by Eschal at 8:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 of mine had a BM every single time they ate (that early) But My middle only had 1 BM about every 4-6 days. His doctor said he was fine.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• ps- sometimes we'd use a Q-tip with Vaseline. that usually did the trick.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes it's normal to go a few days without pooping on formula, and up to a week on breastmilk. If he's constipated and you're feeding him formula, add an extra ounce of water to help him out.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• is you baby breastfeed? Here is a link about baby poop http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes it is normal. Especially if he is breastfed.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It is normal for an EBF baby as long as when they do go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet like. I can't speak for a formula fed baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my BF baby only went once a week until he was about 6 months, now that he is on solids he poops 2 days a week, only sunday and thursday. it's like clockwork lol.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009