What kind of chores do you give a 6 year old?

What kind of chores do you give a 6 year old that is a very stubborn and very HARD headed? i am not sure where to start.

mkdcb2003

Asked by mkdcb2003 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sweep the bathroom
    put away his folded clothes
    put a new trash bag in when you take the old out
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• at six mine could sort their laundry and bring it to me. empty the dishwasher. set and clear the table. crush recycling and take out the garbage. they didn't do all of these they each had different ones
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Pick up his things from the living room, help clear the table, put away his folded clothes, sort his dirty clothes (give him color coded hampers)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My 6 year old has to pick up toys, clean up his room, make his bed, vacuum the floor( I redo it later but he enjoys it) helps do laundry, set and clear table, feed and water the dog. We have a chore board that he puts stickers on when it is complete and at the end of the month he gets a special day with just me and dad. We just had our 2nd child so this is that much more meaningful to him!!
    Anonymous

• My 6yo picks up her own toys and puts them where they belong (this has to be closely monitored because she has a bad habit of sticking things anywhere and then tears the room up looking for things), makes her bed, puts dirty clothes in the hamper, helps bring the hamper to the basement, folds and puts away her own clothes, clears off the table when she is done eating and puts dishes in the sink, cleans the table where she was eating...and the floor, unloads the dishwasher (with or without help), sweeps the kitchen/living/dining room (her favorite chore) and any other little things I think of during the day. She doesn't do it all every day but those are her chores. She also helps take the trash to the alley if it is light enough for her to carry.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• when my boy was 6 years old i use to give hi little odd jobs like help me vacume,take out the garbag little things pick up his own clothes from his room or even wash down the driveway they don't have to be big just include him in things and they will eventually be trainde not to mean how it sounds but they will already be on a track like ok my room is dirty so i'll pick up my clothes or toys or the driveway looks dity let me ask mommy i can use he hose even though the driveway might not be clean or the gardeb might not be watered but they have fun and when they have fun they do more and learn more maybe thats just me but it work for me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm still trying to get my 7 year old to take care of his own things, make bed, put toys away, take dishes to the sink, clean up his own messes. I haven't even started on other chores with him. He wants a dog, but I don't think he is ready for the responsibility yet.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well, here we have a 4yr. old and a 9yr. old on a commission chart.... So, they get paid for doing certain jobs-like the oldest has to clear the plates, silverware, and cups from the table after every meal(that he is here), and there are other jobs like taking his laundry down to the laundry room. He gets pd. once every week to 2 weeks. If he doesn't do a job-he gets a fine-he gets paid his full amount, and then after tithe he must pay the fine-and sometimes he's had to pay all the rest of his earned income plus some he had in his save or spend containers. Then he can go spend his money on pretty much anything he wants(with in reason of course!) And the fines that he pays go into a different container and when there is a nice amount we have him take it to a local charity that helps children in need. We are now starting our 4yr. old and she has chores like set the table, make her bed, put her folded clothes away, etc. It works!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I use handipoints.com to make the chore lists for my kids. It has more ideas than I could ever think of, and age appropriate too. They even provide the reward system if you need one.
    mumao2

Answer by mumao2 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i tried doing a "chart" and either he didn't do it or id forget and end up doing it myself etc. So, my thing is "FIVE MINUTE CLEAN UP"!!! I say it loud and like its exciting. If we're downstairs, my son will quickly pick up the dishes and RUN them to the sink., or put all of his toys neatly at the bottom of the steps. If we're upstairs, he gathers his laundry, and puts his toys in his toy dresser. I dont know at what point it became a race, but its all cleaned up way before 5 minutes
    shan7195

Answer by shan7195 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2009