Laying down after sex vs. increasing chances for conception.

I have heard different views on this. Laying down after sex will keep the sperm inside you longer but does this have any affect on whether or not your chances for conception increase?

I was wondering if this simple act of being still makes or breaks a pregnancy or when your man cums doesn't that initial shooting of sperm from him into you seal the deal, so to speak, on whether or not the sperm makes it to our eggs on their own? I know so many of the sperm die initially but I would like to know what the other moms here think? Does it matter or do you think it really doesn't make a difference?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• A friend of mine asked me for advice recently about what to do to help heighten her chances. She had just stopped taking birth control. I told her to lie down after sex and prop her hips with a pillow, as is always the usual advice for gals when they first start trying. She called night before last to say she's pregnant! On the first try! I do believe it makes a difference, because lying down helps the semen pool up at the bottom of the cervix, giving more of them a chance to swim up.

If you aren't squeamish, you can check out http://www.beautifulcervix.com and click on the post coital pictures. It shows what the cervix looks like after sex when lying on your back, which gives you a pretty good idea.

littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 8:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i remember when i got pregnant yes i layed down and went to sleep then 20 days later i found out i was
    Anonymous

• Both times I've gotten pregnant, I have layed flat and still for a bit just in case if it worked. It seemed to help with me. lol, the two times ive done it I've gotten pregnant.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't really think so, But that is what I have heard too. I never laid still after sex, except for a little cuddling, and I got pregnant, pretty much right after I got off the pill...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• there is absolutely no truth to that whatsoever. there are no positions (while having intercourse) that increase the chances of getting pregnant and there are no positions AFTERWARDS that increase the chances. so sorry but I have had a medical professional tell me this.
    Anonymous

• Is that medical professional a man perhaps?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have heard different from medical professionals, so that doesnt mean anything..
    Anonymous

• If medical professionals don't believe it, why do they make you lie down for 20 minutes after you'd had an IUI and/or IVF procedure done?
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 9:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Exactly...
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Haha, exactly, exactly!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 9:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009