is my son allergic to my breast milk?

all my son wants to do is eat eat eat and everytime after he eats he spits it back up...could my son be allergic to my breast milk? by the way he's a little over 2 weeks old

SpringMommy07

Asked by SpringMommy07 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He could be bothered by something that you are eating, it could be your bodywash, he could have acid reflux.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Baby's aren't allergic to breast milk. He MAY be allergic to something you are eating that is in his breast milk. Try cutting out dairy and nuts and see if this helps. Gradually reintroduce one at a time to see if it is he culprit.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• That's what I was going to say. 9 times out of 10 it is something in your diet upsetting his stomach, not the breastmilk itself... Good Luck.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It sounds like he is getting too much at once. My dd did the same thing. I had a very powerful let-down. What the lactation nurse told me to do was to start nursing and when the let-down comes, take the baby off and express it into a towel until it stops squirting. Then put your baby back on your breast. This sometimes happens when parents use a bottle with a nipple that has too many holes too. Feel free to message me if you want to chat about it. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 8:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Nearly all babies spit up. Are you burping him after he is eating? I had to unlatch my daughter after 15-20 minutes and burp her or she would spew everywhere. Allergies don't cause you to spit up. Typically an allergy causes you to break out in hives or have trouble breathing...not spit up
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I disagree that it is likely something in your diet. It may be something in your diet, but it is more likely an oversupply of milk and/or an overactive let down reflex. Some of the "symptoms" of oversupply/OAL include: Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot, feeds frequently, never seems satisfied. go to http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Oversupply/OAL is frequently misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• he only eats about two to three ounces and i burp him all the time cuzit seems like he's always needing to burp. i;ve cut his feedings to two ounces and he still spits up like a lot. another thing i was thinking was that maybe hes lac tos in tollarant
    SpringMommy07

Answer by SpringMommy07 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Babies are not lactose intollerant to breastmilk. Check out http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

True lactose intolerance in infants is called galactosemia, an extremely rare genetic condition (approximately 1 in 30,000 US births) that is present from birth and fatal if not treated; a baby with the disorder would not gain weight well and would have clear symptoms of malabsorption and dehydration.(

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It wouldn't let me make a link for this before, so I'm trying again! http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Again, this is exactly how my dd was. Does your milk squirt without you having to squeeze? If it does, then he is probably getting too much and can't keep up and this causes air bubbles and then when he tries to burp, it all comes up.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 9:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009