i have a 3 month old with acid reflux and colic any sugestions

sweetharleysmom

Asked by sweetharleysmom at 9:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• sleep them in the car seat (loosely buckled in and next to your bed
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh I am sorry! Been there!
    First, the colic will be going away soon. Generally it's gone by 16 weeks.
    Second, if the reflux is bad, get medication. It worked wonders for my daughter. As melrn suggested, try finding a way to help her sleep more upright - in her car seat, a swing, even putting some bricks under the legs at one end of the crib. Many babies with reflux are much more comfortable sleeping on their bellies too but that does increase the risk of SIDS.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• For reflux-
    Small more frequent feedings
    Upright for at least 30 mins after a feeding- a bouncy seat would be better than a car seat. A car seat can actually cause more pressure on the belly and make it worse because of how they get all squishy in the seat.
    Burp frequently
    If you baby takes formula ask about other formula options from you doctor... a low hypoallergenic formula or something like Enfamil AR might help.
    If you baby is breastfed cutting things out of your diet might help (like dairy)
    There are medications like Zantac that your doctor can start your baby on to help with the symptoms.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son took Reglan for reflux, but since then I have heard some disturbing reports. Check with your pediatrician. I agree with the small, frequent feedings. We bottle fed and held him upright to feed and kept him upright for 30 minutes afterward. This helped a lot. It also prevents early ear infections.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Long walks in the sling helped my son immensely.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Breastfed or formula fed? If you are breastfeeding, an oversupply of milk and/or overactive let down reflex can cause reflux-like symptoms, and/or aggravate reflux. Yes, you can have an oversupply and not realize it (many mos with oversupply think they don't have enough milk becuase babies will often want to feed really frequently)

Go to http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My oldest had acid reflex They switch her formula to enfamil for babies who spit up, it's fortified with rice cereal and is easier to keep down. We also keep her sleeping in a bouncer to keep her inclined to keep her from choking. My 2nd had colic. for which I just found out yoplait yogurt works just a teaspoon when the fussiness starts. Good luck. sleep when you can you'll need it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I second the previous poster. Enfamil A.R. w/Lipil formula. It works great but it can be a PITA to mix. Make sure you shake it well (you actually may want to stir it with a spoon...and use a fast flow nipple. If you breastfeed, I have no idea what will help, sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Weak chamomile tea. Hyland's colic drops.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my son had acid reflux when he was born and the doc put him on liquid Zantac and it really helped him.
    Anonymous