How the hell do I get my 9 month old to eat "people food?"

He just wont budge! He is as stubborn as they come and only seems to want a bottle. The Pediatrician said that an average baby his age should only be drinking 16-20 ounces of formula a day and the rest people food. He will go on a hunger strike until he gets his bottle and only eat a few bites of real food.
I am going crazy...I have tried a million different foods/textures/feeding techniques etc.
Any tips?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 9:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your baby only needs breastmilk or formula until he is a year old. Tell your pedi to stuff it and then find a new one
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• LMAO...SMILEYMOO...
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• But he does need solids in his diet ok....He's to old to be just drinking milk.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• LOL...That is the first time we ever saw her and for other reasons as well, we are not returning to her. I have an appt. to meet a new one next week. Thank you for that awesome answer...I had a feeling that he just is not ready but I didn't want to deprive him of the nutrition /calories he needs to be healthy.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You will know when your baby is ready for real food, he will grab at what you eat, etc. Stick to baby food for now
    Anonymous

• baby's main source of nutrients should be milk. Solids are ok at 9 months. But its not going to hurt the baby to mostly be consuming milk. Milk should still be its main source of food at that age.

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• He wont take baby food...just what he can feed himself but lately since we have been trying to get him to eat it for meals, etc...he doesnt want anything to do with it!
    Funny he wants it when he can't have it and then we try to let him eat it and throws fits.
    ***Sigh.***
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Just put him in his high chair and put the food on the tray. Leave him alone and see if he's interested. If he's gaining weight and everything else is okay then don't get too worried. If you're stressed about it then he'll be stressed about it. I love the Gerber puffs. Just put them on the tray and let him play with them. If he seems comfortable but isn't putting them in his mouth just place one in there, make a game of it if you want. Keep it casual. Maybe if you eat a little bit too it will show him that you think it's yummy also.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Jenelle feel free to pm me if you'd like to talk more about it. I delayed solids for 2 of my children until age 1 due to them not being ready. They are completely healthy and their doctor was completely supportive. You will KNOW when your baby is ready for those solids mama. Just trust your instincts.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Rue number one when starting solids is LISTEN TO YOUR BABY! SmileyMoo is right, he doesn't need the solids yet. Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

Some babies refuse rice cereal and soft purred food and go straight to finger foods. Some babies are very independent and will only feed themselves.

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Let baby join you at the table in his high chair and put bits of soft ripe banana (or avocado, or cooked sweet potato) on his tray and just let him play, explore (and eventually pop some n his mouth:-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009