More landlord problems... can she ask me to do this? I said NO.. She's pissed, I'm pissed.

Been having probs w/ landlord since I moved in 6 months ago. The roof leaked when we moved in; she said it would be fixed in 1 month, never happened. Had a bad storm 6 wks ago, roof leaked BAD, shingles blew off everywhere. Insurance sent a check to fix the roof (after we had to fight w/her; she wanted us to pay the deductible - $3K) A month goes by, don't hear from her. Shows up this evening unannounced @ 6PM, unloads a huge pile of loose shingle onto the porch; informs me that she will be here all day tomorrow... I have to work. Tells me that I have to move everything out of the garage by 6AM & that she's going to be IN my house all day tomorrow. I asked why, she said 4 getting something to drink & stuff while she moves her stuff out of attic. Wants me to empty guest room 2nite so this guy she hired can start working on drywall tmrw (3 day job). I said no. Don't she have to give me some notice; can she just barge in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldnt leave that woman in my house alone. You know damn well she's going to snoop through EVERYTHING. I had a landlord who get this I was on bedrest during my pregnancy and I had told her I was going out of town for the holidays when she asked if she could change the air filter (which didn't need to be changed bc she had used that excuse the month before to come in and snoop around) then get this the cars are gone bc mine was in the shop and my husband was out running errands. So it looked like we weren't home. I was in bed and I hear the front door open. I called 911 instantly when I looked outside and saw a strange car in the drive way and knew it wasnt my husband. I walk into the livingroom and she's standing there with my mail in her hands snooping through it! On CHRISTMAS EVE! Thats illegal. Btw the cops filed charges on her themselves bc I had told her not to come . She got what she deserved! Leave asap. We did
    Anonymous

• Check your lease.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would think not, but you definitely need to review your contract. You have a sucky landlord, I'm sorry she's doing this. It may be her property, so to say, but that doesn't give her any right to the contents of your cabinet and fridge. Wish I was of more help.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 9:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh and she is obligated to keep the place within living condition. Going over a month without fixing a leaky roof is grounds for shutting the place down. Would if you guys developed bad mold problems? That would make your place uninhabitable. You might want to document everything and take your own pictures, if it was me.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 9:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Wow... this lady has balls of steel. First of all, I'm not too sure legally, but it sounds really weird that you would have to come up with any money to fix a problem the house had before you even moved in. As for the complete invasion of your privacy.... you don't have to be put out of your way to make her life easier, she did nothing to make yours comfy. You should go to the town hall in your area and get a pamphlet on rules and regulations.... and I hate to say it.... maybe you should find a hassle free place to lay your head. (easier said than done.... i know). But for now.... good luck... landlord situations suck!!!
    Tessasmom24

Answer by Tessasmom24 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Get a lawyer,you're getting screwed
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• OP here..... we don't have a lease. We're on a month-by-month.... the b won't give a lease cuz she says what if she ha to move back in the house (she lives 5 hours away). She threatens all the time to rent to some1 else if we don't do what she wants..... like pay rent 13 days early, 1 time she asked us to go in the attic to get a flag out of her boxes to give to a friend she was sending by, then she asked me to give my rent money (in cash) to someone she said she told could borrow money but she didn't have cash to give them.... I said hell no... that's my rent I'm not giving cash to someone just ciz you want to lend them money.. she got mad again and threatened to rent the house to someone else out from under us.... I thought we had to give her notice and she has to give us notice..... for moving AND for repairs. I can't just call in tomorrow, and she IS NOT hanging out inside my house all day with me gone.
    Anonymous

• p.s if she pulls the eviction card.... you have rights to stay for up to 60 days... she cannot tell you to leave in a short amount of time if you have kids....the first answer given was right on.... take pictures and document EVERYTHING.... even down to doctor's visits if your kids get sick...
    Tessasmom24

Answer by Tessasmom24 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you don't have a written lease OR some kind of verbal agreement with witnesses, you are being screwed!!! You need to find some where else to live and preferably a business ran housing. She is wrong, wrong, wrong, but since you don't have anything to make her act right, she's running over you. I know I don't know you or your situation but you have got to find you something better before she puts you out on the street and you really have no place to be.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 9:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yea, I'd definately find a new place asap though, and even if you don't get a year lease, look into a lease to establish maintenance and stuff, so you don't get screwed again. You can have it written up to say something like "through the duration of "your name's" renting of this property, such will be maintained, be specific about allowances and stuff... you want it to the T. Good luck.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2009