I need to know how to ween my baby off the bottle???

I am going to try weening her in the next couple of months, she will be 15 months then. I want advice about what could do and try...thank you.

bluefrawg03

Asked by bluefrawg03 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You start substituting the sippy cup instead of the bottle. Start with meals, instead of a bottle, give her a cup of milk. Most of the time, they come to like the sippy cup, because it is similar to what you guys use (we call it the big girl cup) and then, if she is used to a bottle at bed or before, continue with that for awhile. She might just decide she don't need the bottle on her own.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• ^^^^^^ go with above suggestion, then in a few months, throw all bottles away, as long as she is taking to the sippy cup well. She may cry more at bedtime for her bottle, but be strong and don't give in to the crying. Then they are GONE! Its like Mommy Magic. LOL
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't know about bottle weaning but I just weaned my 12 month old from breastfeeding. Rather easily though because I think he was done too. I started nursing for a few minutes less each time and he just started losing interest. I also thought once you get the time down to just a few minutes that you could feed every other night until you phased it out completely. Good Luck.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Dunno, I never worried about it. I let my son decide when he was ready to get rid of it and he wasn't ready until he was 2.5 years old. Sippys are just like bottles and as long as the kid isn't taking it to bed or is taking water to bed then it is fine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Switch to a sippy cup with a soft spout that is shaped like a sippy cup spout but soft like a nipple. It helped my dd to be off the bottle by 11 months. My son is breastfed but likes apple juice in the same type of cup.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Give your toddler a sippy cup. As soon as she has learned to drink from it, give only the sippy cup as there is no longer a need for the bottle.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• What I did is similar to some of the ones above. The best thing from above is to find a sippy cup with the soft spout. When I started this my son was taking 3 bottles a day, morning, noon and evening. The first week I changed the noon bottle to a sippy cup (and I still warmed it because that is what he was used to), the next week I changed the evening bottle to a cup, and the week after that I changed the morning bottle to a cup.
    I think the key is finding the right kind of cup. And even though my son is 18 months old I still only give him milk in that kind of cup and I still warm it a little bit. I have a different cup for juice.
    I started this with him at 11 months so he was off the bottle a little before he turned one.

AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I took a similar approach. We introduced the sippy cup (in our case, it had a soft straw which apparently helps build the muscles for speech, or so the dr told us). Once he had the hang of it, we eliminated his least favorite bottle. He didn't seem to mind so we got rid of another leaving only his evening bottle. A week or so later, we eliminated the last bottle. Our only mistake was not hiding the bottles. The one night he spotted them, he threw a fit. Good luck!
    Anonymous