How can you tell if you are leaking amniotic fluid? I am really wet "down there" all the time, i'm 20 weeks pregnant and freaking out?!

Asked by brennan7707 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• wipe everything dry. Cough hard, if fluid comes out (like water) you could be leaking. That is what I had to do at the Dr. office when I got checked

Answer by AvonbyAmandaNC at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Amniotic fluid has a sweet smell. At 20 weeks I think you are probably just leaking from your bladder since the baby is starting to gain more weight. Check with your doctor to be on the safe side...

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You're probably not. You can check at your next visit, but most likely it's your hormones that are making you lubricate. Pregnancy does that to women. My friend got into a car accident during pregnancy and it broke the sac and a lot of the fluid was released. She told me it takes the roundness shape out of it and she had immense pain anytime her son moved, so if you were leaking, I think you'd have other symptoms too. Hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 4:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The same thing happened to me during that same time. It's true the hormones your body releases causes more than normal lubrication. It's very uncomfortable and there was always that feeling of wetness. I had to just use pantiliners all the time. Look for colors and smells if you're concerned about it and then relay this info to your MD to be on safe side.

Answer by Orchid7 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I know you probably remember how Brennan smelled, right? That smell is amniotic fluid and if you are leaking then it will smell the same. I freaked out a couple times because I thought my "leaking" smelled like Kael while pregnant with Braedyn. Also, if you are leaking amniotic fluid then it will get worse when you lay down. If you see any green then call the doc asap, though.

Answer by amazon_jane21 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008