• In the Spotlight:

My ob said breastfeeding causes contractions...

and I am 27 weeks pregnant and have been breastfeeding for this whole time and I noticed when I breastfeed my stomach hardens and it gets pretty painful like contractions and moves to my lower back. Has or does anyone know anyone that went into early labor from breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I haven't but those sure sound like contractions.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes, breastfeeding causes the uterus to contract and can trigger labor.
    Anonymous

• yep. breastfeeding or any nipple stimulation causes the release of oxytocin which produces contractions. this is probably TMI but hubby was playing around with my boobs and almost sent me into labor lol
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• even when your only 6 months? can it make you go into labor that early?
    Anonymous

• If you have been breastfeeding the entire pregnancy already, it is very rare for breastfeeding to *induce* labor. Many women nurse through out their pregnancies, and then tandom nurse, with no issues. The stimuli to your uterus isn't *generally* enough to throw you into labor... It also WONT throw you into labor unless your body and baby is ready.

Do the contrax continue, or ONLY when nursing. If only when nursing, it is probably your body being more sensitive now.

Most OB's are very ignorant about nursing while pregnant.. it's not something the medical world tends to be educated on.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would trust my ob more than celtic
    Anonymous

• LOL anon gosh, your response is SOOOOOO helpful.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• For actual information on breastfeeding, La Leche League is the world leader in information and they are non profit, non sectarian, and *Free*. www.llli.org can give you a list of leaders in your area, you can call and get help over the phone or in person. OBs are specialists that deal with pregnancy and the complications of it, they are not lactation consultants nor are they by any means breastfeeding gurus. They receive minimal training on breastfeeding, so no, an OB is not the person you should go to for breastfeeding help, a certified lactation consultant or trained la leche league leader is.

Also, in regards to breastfeeding inducing labor, unless you have a history of preterm labor or premature births you are not at risk for it and, like celtic said, if it is *only* when nursing and stops afterward, it is not a risk. Granted, YOU are the one who is feeling the contractions/BH and YOU are the one who needs to...
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• con't make the decision on whether or not you will keep nursing.

If you want to look for help in the meantime regarding breastfeeding, please look at www.kellymom.com for more breastfeeding information.
    NoNonsenseMama

• "I would trust my ob more than celtic " LMAO I second that !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009