low placenta piog

Just curious, if anyone has had a low placenta that moved up. Mine is low...right next to the cervix. The u/s tech said it would likely move up. Anyone have any experience to share.

This sort of scares me because I had no intentions of stepping into an OB's office or hospital this time around. I have to decide if I want to make an appt with an OB to just establish care in case it moves and covers my cervix.

Please note...my question is NOT do you think I should make an appt with an OB. I am happy with my midwife. I am asking if anyone had a placenta that moved up or moved and turned into placenta previa. The next time I see my midwife is 2 weeks and i really dont think this warrants a call

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of lots of cases where the women's placenta was low lying and moved in their last trimester. I can't give too much advice on the subject, though, because I have not experienced this myself. But I do know that it can and often times does move back away from the cervix.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Low lying isn't as much of an issue as if it is COVERING the cervix. It should move, especially if you aren't very far along. Placenta previa (the placenta covering the cervix) moves out of the way over 90 percent of the time, so yours just being low has as much, or better of a chance moving.

I was diagnosed with a previa at 15 1/2 weeks, had bleeding for a long time, but at my 20 weeks u/s it had completely moved! :) I was so happy.

I am glad you are happy with your midwife. Ask her about it though and I wouldn't see the OB again unless she says you should. Low lying may not be an issue for her. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• ALL midwives report to OBs.....they do not consult by themselves
    Anonymous

• that is not true anon. MANY midwives work alone. IF they feel a women needs to see an OB for any issue they can refer them. BUT DEM"s tend to NOT have OB back ups, or consults. There is ZERO need for it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Im the org poster...not sure why I marked ANON...

anyway...
    Actually my midwife group does work alone...they are 6 women out of a free standingbirth center. They do not work with or consult with OB's. They suggest that you establish care with an OB of your choice just in case but do admit most patients decide not to.
    mamato2grls

Answer by mamato2grls at 10:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have had this with my last pregnancy and again with this one. It moved up both times. This time around I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and my placenta was low lying, I just had another ultrasound this week at 22 weeks and it already moved up enough that they are not worried about it. At my first ultrasound the tech told me that she has only had 2 women (in 20 years) where it did not move but they started out with their cervix fully covered.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009