how do you increase the size of the holes in nipples?

I bought all level 1 nipples and now my baby is having to eat rice cereal with her food so she can keep it down, due to reflux. Well the nipple holes are too small. I know u can widen them or something. Does anyone know how to do this? Something about putting a needle or pin in the hole and boiling the nipple? Anyone know about this for sure, cuz I have no idea.

linzhh

Asked by linzhh at 10:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I read your question I had to come on here and see if you were talking about breast nipples.

OUCH.

Sorry I dont know the answer to your question, I have heard of people poking needles in them, but dont know.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• They have bottles specially made for formula and cereal. Buy stage 2 nipples and try those
    Anonymous

• You are never ever supposed to feed cereal out of bottles by the way. Talk to the peditrician about it and they will tell you the same thing!
    Anonymous

• My pedi. is the one who told me to put cereal in my dd's bottle. She has acid reflux and couldnt keep anything down.
    Anonymous

• Level 2 nipples.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You can buy nipples with bigger holes but you have to make sure they arent too big because she may eat to fast and choke. You can take a sterilized needle (boil it or heat it up real hot) and then put the sterilized needle in the hole of the nipple and kind of wiggle it around. But you have to be VERY careful so that you dont tear the nipple because you dont want any peices coming off that she can choke on. It wont open a whole lot but just enough for her to be able to get the formula/cereal mix out safely.
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• for children with reflux some peds recommend cereal in the bottle, but it is pretty rare. everytime i tried to make more or bigger holes, the nipples ripped while i was washing them with the bottle cleaner. i would go get stage 2 nipples.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would buy faster flow nipples.
    Or ask your pediatrician about the formula that has rice starches in it already... it doesn't clog the nipples and thickens when it gets to the tummy! Enafmil AR and now Similac makes one too, but I don't know what it's called.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Take a needle and make the holes slightly bigger
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009