At what temperature is it safe to set your plants outside over night?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 10:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Not sure, I would think as long as it's above freezing they should be ok.... I just planted some flowers today and I hope/pray they don't get too cold...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I live in Ohio and we don't put plants in until close to Memorial Day because it gets too cold here at night and it kills them (below 40)!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As soon as all danger of frost is past. Be sure to put them outside during the day (if there's no wind) to start with and bring them in at night for the first week or so to harden them off before transplanting them.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Pagan mama - I'm truly not being ignorant here but how do I know the danger of frost is past. (BTW - they are potted now and will remain potted - I'm not transplanting.) If the temperature is forecasted to be above freezing, even if it is still like upper 30s and lower 40s, can I assume there is no danger of frost?
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I usually won't put any of my plants outdoors until after the nights have been warmer than 45 for a couple of weeks....

I've been debating putting some of my tomato plants outdoors though soon and just using something to shield them from the cold.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 12:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If you aren't transplanting them to the outside garden, that makes it easy. Leave them outside if the temp will be 40 or higher, bring them inside if it will be any cooler than that. Most plant specialists will say leave them out at anything over 36 or 37, but that's cutting it too fine for me, so I'd say 40.
    I just got tired of having all these little pots of starts in my house, so I transplanted them out to my garden yesterday. Normaly they would have been outside a week ago, but this has been a long, cold spring. So there's petunias, roses, and geraniums out there--so far.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2009