Lent a friend money now they won't pay it (yes I know-the same old story!!)

I lent my baby's father and his mother $300, because their car broke down and he really needs a car to get to work. Turns out that the car they were going to buy was a piece of junk, so they never bought it. Instead of just giving me the money back, they put it into their "savings" and said they'd pay me back $25/month. I agreed.

Well they made the first two payments, and have missed the last two. My baby's father was over today, and I asked him about the money. His standard excuse is, "Well I have to get it from the bank". He didn't know I was watching, but he was counting the money in his wallet- $280!! I asked him why he couldn't give me the money from the money in his wallet?? His response? "Well that's MY money...your money is in the bank".
I got pissed off and said I was never EVER helping them out again, and that they could be homeless on the damn streets and I still wouldn't help them!! (MORE BELOW)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I assume similar shady behavior and selfishness ended your relationship? Kudos for being the bigger person and lending the money. Hopefully you can afford to lose it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• (CONT)

He said that was a really mean thing to say, and I was wrong to say it. Then he left.

Was I wrong to say what I said? I am pissed off because he has money in his wallet but won't pay me what he owes!! His mother has stopped making her portion of the payments too.

He keeps saying "It's in the bank"...

And input?

Thanks
    Anonymous

• Nope you are not wrong at all tell him if they dont pay you will take them to court thats wrong i hope he at least pays you child support

Anonymous

• Tell him to get your damn money out of the bank and have it in your hands that same day, or you will call the cops!!! Hope you have proof that you lent him this money though!
    Anonymous

• nope, no proof...stupid me gave them cash
    Anonymous

• Make him sign a note

Anonymous

• PLEASE tell me you make him pay child support. Next, tell him to meet you at the bank and get it out. If that doesn't work then send him a bill. If that doesn't work tell him and mom you will take them to Small Claims Court then they have to pay you back AND pay the court costs!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Send the bill to them showing what they borrowed and what and when they paid. That will serve as a receipt of paying them for court. I am serious. Take them to court if they don't pay you immediately. If they work they will miss out on a day of work as well as paying you and court costs. It would be smarter if they just give you back your money.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009