How can I get my 8 year old daughter to flush the toilet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um...at 8 you just YELL really loud, FLUSH THE DAMN TOILET. She is old enough to know better.
    Anonymous

• send her back in EVERY SINGLE TIME to do it. consistency is key.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• do what i had to with my 3yr olds stand over them and when they are done tell them flush the potty!... no offense at 8 it seems to be a behavior thing! does she do it everywhere or just at home?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 6 year old almost never flushes...it just doesn't seem to occur to him. I make sure i always call him back in if I find he's left something in the toilet - or if I'm around when he comes out of the bathroom I ask him if he flushed... I guess if you're desperate you could set up some kind of reward system - like everytime she flushes she can stay up 5 minutes later at night or something really simple like that....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I told my kids - the next one who doesn't flush has to clean the toilet themselves. Has worked so far. My 7YO has been dying to catch my oldest so he can tattle on him and then I'd make him clean it.
    cleo1969

Answer by cleo1969 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• make her clean the toilet. thats what i do......seems to be working.
    SpitfireShelly

Answer by SpitfireShelly at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my 8 yr old does the same thing. the problem is, she and her brother have their own bathroom so I usually don't find out about right away and the bathroom stinks!! I am also at my wits end....did ever find a solution that worked for you?
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 4:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• mine does it too, but she LIKES to clean the toilet...she's got a fascination with water. maybe I should try sticking her nose into it, like they do with puppies?! (JUST KIDDING)
    Anonymous