Is pelvic pain normal during pregnancy?

I'm at the end of my 26th week of pregnancy and recently I've started to have some pelvic pain. It even hurts to walk and go up stairs.

contrariant

Asked by contrariant at 10:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, at certain times the weight and changing shape of your belly stretches the ligaments and muscles in that area, it can be very painful.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It can be. It could also be SPD, which is an issue with your pubis symphisis. It can easily be combated with a chiro and/or physical therapy. :) You could ask your OB for a referral to physical therapy and they can do wonders! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• yes, things are spreading to make ready for child birth

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh yea, its normal (and it gets worse LOL). Things are spreading down there, ligaments are losening, not to mention you've put on weight and have the added weight of your LO pressing on everything.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yes, it can be normal but it doesn't have to be something you "deal with" by any means. Like another poster mentioned, you can see a chiro to ease the pain. Make sure they are certified to work with pregnant women, and while you're at it, check if they are certified in the webster technique, this can help get baby in optimal position for birth if you need it when the time comes. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Actually one of the best things I have found for mine is Tylenol. I take one or two (doc approved of course) and then a warm bath that comes up just above my hips. I make sure Dh is around just in case I need help getting out (to be honest I do). If you don't want to chance a bath, get a shower stool and a massaging shower head that you can pull down. Spray your legs and abs in the hot water. Also, OB reccomended this, 10-15 minutes with a heating pad on your thighs is ok. No more because you don't want to over heat of course, but it can soothe those aches. I've also found that one of the belly belts (you canget these at a maternity store) that hold up the bump work wonders.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, it is... In my third trimester it was terrible... It must be all of the weight that is sittting on it or something, but I could barely walk it was so bad...
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2009