Is my ob reakin nutz?????

My ob just called me himself . he says that my baby is measuring small. I am 28 weeks and baby is measuring at 27 wks. so far all my tests , bps, babys heartbeat have all been normal. I am gaining weight just as I should be. But he wants to run a stress test, another ultrasound, bood tests for viruses. Is there anything to worry about?Is he just Nuts or what? I have my 1st midwife appt sunday, thank goodness.

hypersquirrel

Asked by hypersquirrel at 10:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally think he's nuts. Measuring a week behind isn't a reason for extra test if everything else has been normal. I'd get a second opinion personally.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• They don't do those tests unless there is a concern. It can't hurt anything to do the test. I'd do it just to assure myself all is well with the baby

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't think he is necessarily nuts. I think he might not be telling you the entire story. I've been to a variety of doctors over the years for various health issues as well as have worked with doctor's extensively in my career. Rare is the doctor who will ever call a patient on the phone HIMSELF unless he's serious about what he feels needs to be done. I've seen in many cases, doctors will give a blanket reason for why they want to run more tests (i.e. the baby is measuring small) but neglect to tell you intricate details because they either think you won't understand them or they are afraid to worry you if they don't know something is wrong for sure. I'd go in and do the tests OR at least demand a thorough explanation.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Does he know you are planning on meeting with your midwife soon? He may not be supportive of the natural methods and just looking for something to be wrong so you won't go that rout. Measuring a week off is not something to freak over. How is he meaning that anyway, by fundal height? Or by ultrasound? Either has a huge margin of error. Go see yur midwife and see what she thinks.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it probably wont hurt to go through with the testing, but these drs kill me... no1 can be exactly sure when you conceived. you may be right on track if he's only noticing a weeks difference. but i would go with the tests anyway
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 10:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• He is measuring me by both fundal height and ultrasound. he knows nothing about my midwife and i aint gonna tell him unless necessary about her.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Something may have come up that he doesn't want to scare you with until he knows more about what's really going on. He should be telling you more if that's the case. Definitely get your midwife's opinion. Hopefully, you'll have more confidence in her, and your OB is just being WAY overly careful (and scaring you in the process). Good luck! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I disagree that more testing WON'T hurt because it very well could, especially if nothing is wrong and measuring 1 week behind by ONE ultrasound (late trimester at that which are very inaccurate) and considering reading an ultrasound can vary from tech to tech...I would say "Thanks but no thanks!" Do you know the date of conception? Have you had an earlier ultrasound that verified dates already? If so, there is no way I would trust such a late ultrasound with all the data that has said they are highly inaccurate (up to two weeks off in either direction).
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 10:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think he is nuts!! Measuring a week ahead or behind (even 2) is normal. The Nurse Practitioner measuring me at my last appointment seemed surprised that I had pretty much measured right on the whole time. That is so ridiculous!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• He could have seen something that may or may not be a big issue and didn't want to scare you. So he gave you a generic reason for the tests. It may be a good idea to go ahead and have them done, just in case.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009