How can I get my 6 year old son to stop being scared at night and stay in bed?

I've tried to explain to him that there is nothing to be scared about but yet almost every night if I don't sit in his room till he falls asleep he jumps right up and says he's scared. He says he's afraid that "bad guys" are going to come in and get him. But we don't live in a crime infested neighborhood, it's nice and quiet and nothing ever goes on. Please help!

nommia225

Asked by nommia225 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We put a night light in my son's room and he has his stuffed dog by his side.
    Anonymous

• We pray with our kids and reassure them that Jesus loves them and is protecting them, My LO wants specific prayer for angels to protect him. Then he goes right to sleep.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Good question hon...right now my 5year old has learned that if she tells me about "monsters" in her room I'll stay with her a bit longer. I've tried to explain to her that her pet hamsters in her room that are up making noise all night will keep the monsters away...but it doesn't appear to be working. I still wake up in the morning and she'll have a place in my bed. I tried to tell her that the hamsters kill monsters so monsters stay away...but it hasn't helped. I was thinking of a night light but she has one in her tiny lamp. A smaller bulb underneath the regular one. It doesn't give off very much light but the room isn't complete darkness either. Still doesn't work for her.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 12:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My seven year old is the same way. One night, he said he wasn't afraid of the dark. I was so excited thinking we had crossed the threshold, reached a milestone. Then he said, "I'm not afraid of the dark. I'm just afraid of the monsters." We've tried every night light. I tell him he doesn't have to sleep, just stay in bed and listen to music and look at books quietly. He rarely falls to sleep on his own. My husband usually ends up staying with him as much as an hour and half until one of them falls asleep (my husband is often the first to sleep). Good luck. If you find something that works, please share.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I WOULD PUT A NIGHT LIGHT, AND EVERY NIGHT BEFORE HE GOES TO SLEEP CHECK HIS ROOM AND TELL HIM NO BAD GUYS THERE. OR GET HIM A STUFF ANIMAL AND TELL HIM HE IS THERE TO PROTECT HIM WHEN YOU ARE NOT.

Answer by older at 10:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Let him sleep in your bed. Or just keep doing what you're doing. Stay there and comfort him. Then when he wakes up in the morning tell him that you were right, again, there was nothing to worry about.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My children believe in God and just pray to him to protect them. There is nothing more comforting than that. They made up their own silly prayer. "Dear God, Thank you for a wonderful day, and please help keep all the bad feelings away. Also, please help me get comfy cozy and asleep really fast"
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 2:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009