Did your Dr ever tell you..

to lose weight? I am 5'9 and 200 lbs with normal periods, & healthy, however during my physical my (new) Dr told me to lose 20 lbs and get down to 180 and it might be easier to become pregnant. He said the IDEAL weight of someone 5'9 is 150!!!! I know I am a thick girl....but I just feel hurt. Maybe I am just too sensitive. i work 45 hours + every week with just Sundays off. How the hell can I join a gym and not totally wipe myself out??? I am so confused and now I just feel disgusting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my doctor has never told me that but you can do 3 ten minute intervals of moderate physical activity 3-5 days/week and and that should help you lose weight. You can also do a whole 30 minutes as well.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 11:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, but I am scared to go to the doctor fear of her tell me to lose weight.. Sorry your doctor told you that.. :(
    Anonymous

• I hate the whole "For your height you should be..." thing. I am 5'2" and pre-pregnancy I was 160. My BMI was an 18 which is PERFECT! I walked 3 miles a day, 5 days a week to get to and from school. When I became pregnant I continued my daily regimen and post pregnancy I was 164. Woo!

Anyway, as far as the losing weight thing is, though... he is right. I stopped having my period for 9 months when we started TTC #2 and I lost 30 lbs. The month after that, my period suddenly started on it's own! And I started ovulating again! It is a good idea to become more active when you're TTC because it promotes normal body function. You don't HAVE to lose 20 lbs, but as long as you are active, your body will slowly regulate itself.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Don't let this bother you. Losing weight often includes eating healthier and exercising. Getting your body into a healthier lifestyle which can increase your chances of conceiving. Its not all about the "weight" as much as about getting your body healthier. Does that make sense?
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My doctor never told me to loose weight and im 5'5 and 235 so Im really fat compared to you lol. The only thing she did tell me after listening to my heart is that I need to exercize atleast once a day for not only my health but any loss in weight will increase my chances of becoming pregnant. However I have not done that so If I notice were going on a few months with out a baby then I will definatly be working out lol. I know I should be but Im a stay at home mom and my son and I just swing on the swing set outside and then play inside with his cars or what ever but I guess I can start running laps in my back yard. Any way dont just rely on loosing weight to get you pregnant, Im on Clomid cause I have PCOS so maybe that will work.GL and dont be down about it, if you dont like the doctor then change to a nicer doctor that will tell you in a way that wont hurt your feelings like mine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am 5'4 and 192 lbs and yes my dr told me to lose weight and it would help me conceive. I have not done it yet but I started to exercise i walk/run 3 miles every other day which usually will take me 40 to 60 min depending on much run. I hope it works i really want another baby my son is almost 7 yr old. good luck
    mommyttc

Answer by mommyttc at 1:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• 5'9" and 150 lbs would be a stick... girl you are fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• (This is the POSTER)
    To littlemrsmarcel--- the funny thing is that I am very regular. I was on birth control for 13 years and the very next month I got off of it I got my period right on time!!! Even my obgyn was surprised. Since Sept. 08 until now I've been on time and perfect which is why I should be ovulating just fine. According to my Doctor he thinks that we might not be timing it right. It could be a number of things, and he suggested that I lose weight and get back to 170-180. It just sucks because number one--I have Asthma, so running miles won't work, especially with working 5 hours a week and getting out of work at 7pm from 8:30 am, and other days getting out at 10pm. I am on my feet for 9+ hours every single day. I don't sit at a desk. I am constantly busy running a store. I barely have time to swallow my lunch without getting called back onto the floor. I really don't understand how I can lose this weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• POSTER

Whoops type o. I meant I work 45+ hours week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Poster, if you want to friend add me, I would be more than happy to set you and I up a private group to partner to lose the weight. I went to my OB/GYN in March to get a script for progesterone. I have to take it from ovulation to carry a pregnancy. She took my uterus hostage by stating I need to lose at least 30 lbs from my 5'4" frame before she would. I was taken aback, then hurt and a bit embarassed. But, she was right! The extra weight isn't healthy, can complicate a pregnancy with pre-eclampsia and other risks, and is harder to get off post- baby.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009