This question is for Aethiest like myself.

What is the reason you chose to be one. Was there some events that happened in your life to in a way convince you there isnt a GOD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just don't believe. It wasn't a conscious decision, just acceptance of how I really feel.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think people become atheists because they misunderstand GOD, and instead of tying to know him they just judge him and move on. Just MO.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I'm not an atheist, but I sat on the border for a long time.

Many atheists I've talked to seem to have a bitterness issue. They don't really deny God's existence, but they blatantly defy him, almost like they're trying to coax him out. They say things like, "If God were real, why didn't he answer my prayers?" or "How could he let children suffer?" Makes it sound like they are angry with him rather than coming to the realization that there are no deities.

For me, it was a little different. I think I had most doubt when I started studying psychology and learning about how the mind works.
    Anonymous

• I've known many Atheists that were so for many different reasons.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank you ladies for answering. Mine was events that happened and my way of thinking both had an influence.
    Anonymous

• I believe in God. If there wasn't a god then I wouldn't have been blessed with 5 healthy beautiful sons. I don't know if I believe in any one religion though. That's a whole nother subject.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 11:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Watching the suffering of my children (special needs w/lots of hospital stays) brought me so very close to atheism. I experienced a very Godless period in my life. It was because I couldn't understand the cruelty (from my perspective) of a God who would allow such terrible things to happen to innocent (IMO) and helpless little children. Nothing I could think of could justify God "allowing" all those terrible things to happen to my boys.

I still don't understand it today. I wrestle with it often. But, for some reason, I still believe. I was never promised that life was going to be all roses if I believed.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 11:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Does anyone else think this question wasn't even asked by an Athiest? I think we have an imposter: troll alert.
    Anonymous

• No I am an aethiest so u can kiss it. Ill even reveal myself.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Speaking for myself, I am not bitter, nor do I misunderstand God. I have never believed, nor have I ever prayed, or specifically tried to defy any god. I just simply see no evidence for the existence of any type of creator, prayer answering, all knowing, all powerful being of any kind.

When I was younger, I neither believed nor disbelieved. I just never really thought of it much. Until one day I was sitting in a history class, learning about the ancient civilizations, and their beliefs. The other students in the class started laughing about what people once believed. The first thought I had was, "I wonder what the kids will think about us, 10,000 years from now, when they are sitting in their history classes." That was the moment when I knew I didn't believe. I don't believe in your gods for the same reason you don't believe in the same gods that those primitive people saw, and felt, and knew were all around them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009