Animal spirit sighting by a 3 year old...?

My daughter came running in the kitchen from the living room this morning. She was very genuine and shocked. ( She doesn't lie and doesn't go aroung saying crazy things) She said " Mommy there was a lion in the living room!" I asked her where. She said " It walked out of here (showed me the wall) and went over to your bag. I thought he was going to get your bag but he didn't" she also said she was very scared. I didn't want to say it was her imagination. But I told her to say " You are scaring me, I don't want to see you anymore." I have never said or mentioned spirits to her but I asked her did she think it could have been like a lion in spirit and she instantly said "YES! It WAS a spirit!" she kept talking about it to DH and I and showed us how it came out of the wall over and over. DH laughed it off but I can't do that easily.

Continued....

hannahwill

Asked by hannahwill at 11:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lion could be her totem or guide coming in a form they thought the child would recognize or maybe not be frightened of? Where do you live? Was it a lion? Ask what color, could be a cat of another kind that lived around your area. Anyway, I wouldn't worry unless it happens again. Tell her the lion is her great protector. If it happens again, you have to tell the spirit (whatever) that it's frightening and to please go away or change forms! Also, have you read any books/stories with a lion? Movies? Fascinating.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you were in my situation, how would you handle it?

If the lion is her spirit guide, I do not want to teach her to ignore it or be scared. But I also want to her to be able to distinguish imagination vs. reality.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Well, at least you believed her. It took a long time for my parents to believe me when I would tell them I saw something. I consistently saw a blank panther with amber eyes. I saw it in my dreams too. I honestly knew not to be afraid of it after a while, all on my own just by the feelings that I got. I believe that children have a better understanding of spirits than we do.

I would encourage her to ask them what they want. If she feels afraid, that is her best guide. Tell them to go away. If she doesn't feel afraid (initial shock is one thing), then they probably don't mean any harm.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thanks jeanclaudia. She knows her animals well. She said it was a lion with all the hair around his head. It was inside the house and there is no window she could have seen out of. No books or movies with lions in them....I don't believe we have EVER seen a movie or read a book with a lion.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thanks NovemberLove. :)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• There are two kinds of lions in the bible.... One devours and the other doesn't. Satan is like a lion seeking whom he shall devour and then there is the Lion of Judah which is another name for Jesus.
    I cannot keep track of who believes in what but I do know people have seen Jesus come like a lion.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Interesting question to me...as a child of three, I too had a dream of a lion that appeared in my room one evening. It stared at me for a long time then sauntered off (yes, I mean sauntered) down the hall and disappeared. I woke my dad. He told me it was just a dream, but I remember it as real as can be today because I was AWAKE!!!!

Turns out, the next-door neighbor in our apartment was beating his wife. Their apartment shared a wall with ours. My wall. My parents heard the noise and fighting, but I did not. I saw the lion.

Who's to say what dreams and visions really are. If you've ruled out things like videos, books, pictures, etc. that have lions in them, I would at least help your daughter acknowledge her visions. Deal with them realistically. Don't say "It was only a dream" and discount it. You don't know enough about it to make that decision, really.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 11:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Sounds like your daughter just saw her totem. Has she been fascinated by lions even though you don't read books or watch movies about them? If she has, it has been her acknowledgement that she recognizes some kind of connection with that animal. Tell her next time that she should try to not be scard and see what it does. However, since you told it not to come back, it may not show itself again. It will still be there, but it won't show itself to her unless/until she opens herself to it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank you for your interpritation Shaneagle.

Hilbilimac, Thanks for sharing your experience and info.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• That is what I was thinking, Ashley. She hasen't seemed too into lions but she really loves all animals so it is hard to say.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009