IS 9 old enough to do the dishes

IS 9 old enough to do dishes? it is just rinsing and putting in the dishwasher and wiping down the counters nothing too hard!? I don't remember how old I was when doing the dishes was my nightly chore. please help, thank you!

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was about 7 or 8 when my mom gave me dishes as a chore. And it was much harder than that, we had no dishwasher...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My child was doing the dishes the right way since she was 7.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• 5 is old enough if you have a tall enough stool lol. I was doing my own laundry by 7 (which my mom felt was way too late) and had washed dishes before that. Although dish washing wasn't my chore. I had to take the recycling out, clean my own room, do my laundry, clean my bathroom, empty the dishwasher and vaccum. My parents felt that as soon as you can understand what your chore is, how to do it and had two working arms and legs to do the task, you could do it. I guess I agree. To this day I'm a very tidy person and can get housework done in a flash! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I remember doing dishes at 7 with my mom... My son, who is almost 10, ahs been helping me with dishes for 2 years. We do it together... Not so much as a Chore, but as helping mom -

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As soon as they can reach the sink, with or without a stool, I would say they are ready to help with the dishes and cleaning of the kitchen.
    Anonymous

• No it isn't too young to do dishes. I was doing them as soon as I could reach the sink.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son is 9 and he rinses dishes and helps load the dishwasher, and then helps me unload when I think about it... Honestly I am just so bad about "if I want it done right and quickly I do it myself" so I don't make him help in the kitchen as much as i should, but he is definitely capable of doing it!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Definitely! Especially since the dishwasher will be doing the actual work!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son is 7 and he can do it. He has been handwashing dishes pretty well for about a year. He doesn't do pots/pans or dishes he will need to really scrub. But he can do most of it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think I was 5. All my kids had washed dishes way before 9.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009