Can you break a lease for maggots?

Apparently something died in our rental home somewhere and maggots formed all over. Our landlord paid to get the house sprayed but they could not find the dead thing and I am guessing it is in the empty part of the duplex that was NOT sprayed. Can I use this as an excuse to break the lease?

I don't feel safe here with my 6 weeks old and my husband and I are talking about buying a house.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You could read your lease and try and find a loophole! Good luck.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Come to think of it, this question wasn't too fun. Sorry.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• well if you bought a house then it will brak but just for that it won't happen, but i am a landlord so i make sure everything is up to date and nothing has anything dead in it and i also spray everywhere no matter what
    Anonymous

• Yuck! I would certainly think that would be cause for breaking a lease! Especially with a small baby in the house.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• some landlords can be mean its all up to you hun, but i think he didn't care cause he didn't look good enought to find the dead animal which can maske you really sick
    Anonymous

• Don't worry. The maggots will grow up and turn into flies soon. The fly family will eventually leave once they've consumed all the ummm...parts of whatever died. I'd leave them. They won't hurt you and you won't have to worry about some half eaten animal carcass residing in your walls. Let the maggots finish him off.
    Anonymous

• The maggots will cease eventually. Bummer this happened to you. :(
    Anonymous

• It depends on the laws of your state. In Utah (where I'm from), it's pretty strict. You could always try going to the landlord and making a big fuss though. He might cave and let you break the lease. Probably not going to happen if you live in a big apartment complex though.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 7:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• it is dependent on several things so what you need to do is contact a renters rights advocate and ask them!
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 8:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009