buying pizza with ebt card

do u think its wrong that you can pay for papa Murphy's pizza with food stamps? i actually didnt know this until about a week ago. i personally think its a good thing. there times when i feel like pizza but we never have spare money after bills. but i know some ppl think that anyone on stamps shouldnt be able to buy any "junk" food. im not trying to start drama,just wonder if im the only one that thinks its good or helpful to just pick up a pizza after a long tiring day even if its with an ebt card?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• pizza isn't really junk food and they make that available especially for ppl who might be homeless or no where to cook. Others on ebt can get cooked food as well in some places. There is nothing wrong with getting your belly full with a hot meal. Pizza has several of the food groups so it's not a bad meal.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Hmm....let's see. My husband works his buns off so that we can support our family and NOT need an EBT card and we can seldom afford pizza out. No, I don't think you should be able to buy convience fast food with the card taxpayers are giving you.
    Anonymous

• I think that people should buy basic necessities. I honestly do not know if I would buy pizza with an ebt card if I had one. I personally am greatful that we have a system in place that is there to help us when we need it. Out of respect for fellow tax payers, I'd probably use it for what I needed with an urgency to do what I can to get to a place where I wouldn't need it any more. What I could or couldn't buy with it, pizza and junk food honestly wouldn't even cross my mind.

If someone lent you $50 for groceries (which is what assistance is. It is more or less a "loan" with the expectation that you'll be able to get back on your feet and contribute to other people's needs eventually) and you spent it on higher priced items like fast-food and junk food instead of needs and healthy options...do you think that person would be mad? Would you be mad if you were that person? That is how I look at assistance IMHO.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you want a pizza, buy the kits at the grocery store. They are with the pasta products.
    Anonymous

• pizza isn't really junk food and they make that available especially for ppl who might be homeless or no where to cook.
    ------------
    Pizza is a horrible junk food! The white over-processed crust can't even be properly digested by the human body. It sticks in your intestines. The pizza sauce is packed with more refined, processed sugar than you could ever imagine and the cheese is processed too. You're better off eating a candy bar to be honest with you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• OP here- let me rephrase,its not junk food. its just that ive heard alot of ppl say they think ebt should limit what ppl can buy like WIC. or that ppl shouldnt be able to get pizza from a restaurant like papa murphys(which just sells the pizzas uncooked and you cook them at home)
    Anonymous

• Frozen is good, too. You can also make a pizza by buying Boboli, pasta sauce, cheese, pepperoni, etc. then bake in oven.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't think its right. Cause I don't have an EBT card and I can never afford pizza. But what is even more wrong is my SIL bought a bushell of steamed crabs with her EBT card. That is like $85 dollars of food stamps she could have spent on several meals for her family. I can not believe that the state gives her $560.00 to spend on groceries every month. It infuriates me. Then she tells me, you can get it too! And boasts about the fact that she has it!! I'm sorry I choose not to live off of the state, I can make it, and keep my families belly full without it. It is mostly for the people who absolutely need it. And if you need it you spend it only on neccisities.
    Anonymous

• "they make that available especially for ppl who might be homeless or no where to cook."

Papa Murphy's are ready made pizzas that you take home to cook!

Buy a frozen pizza with my tax money, it's cheaper!
    Anonymous

• Sure why not? You only get a certain amount each month so who cares what people chose to waste it on?
    Anonymous