Sex ed in schools

My 11 year old came home with a paper today we needed to sign permission for him to attend a sex ed class. Does your school have this class and what is your opinion of it??????

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 11:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am glad they are teaching it early. There are way too many 12 and 13 year olds geting pregnant. I want my children to know they can go to me and if I am not available then to a teacher. I applaud your childs school. I hope my daughters school does this too.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 11:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think sexual education belongs at home.

I think it is important for human anatomy to be learned in school. The reproductive system is naturally a part of this. I have no problem with schools teaching the anatomy and physiology of sex and reproduction as well as diseased of the reproductive system and how they are contracted from a scientific standpoint. Not all parents are scientists or health care professionals. Not all are qualified to teach their kids the anatomy (I can't tell you how many adult females I've met that don't know there are THREE holes down there, not two).

However, the social aspects of sex and how to make decisions for themselves ought to be taught at home. Children need to be able to learn these social lessons from their parents. At age 11, they've already heard enough from their peers :-(

I'd let my kid sit in on the lesson and then give my own at home.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No way is anyone but me and my husband teaching my kids about sex!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• November Love said it perfectly. I would like the opportunity to teach my children about the emotional, mental, ramifications of sex. I want them to learn about the peer pressure and that from me.

As far as disease and the actually anatomy, the school can handle that. I will follow up.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Unfortunately there are a lot of parents that don't talk to their kids about sex, and so they learn about it either from their friends or school. I would rather them learn it from school. My mom never talked about sex with me. That didn't change anything about my wanting to have it or to wait. All she said was don't do it and wait til I'm married. Well 7 yrs later I find out that she never waited! She had sex earlier than I did! A lot of parents don't talk to their kids about sex and just hope for the best. At least the school is realizing this.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When I was in Sex-Ed in HS (about 99ish) We had a very well rounded course. Now, we did't go in to the Babies, that was child care clases and home-ec, but they went over everything from abstainance to condoms to the different kinds of BC and their pros and cons. Abortion WAS covered, in great detail. In fact each type was covered and explored in all it's bloody horror. So were STDs- FULL COLOR VIDS- and pregnancy and delivery. They even showed a film of a woman giving birth, bloody, poopy and tearing painful delivery... We were taught condoms, shots, pills, spermaside, female condoms, spounges and everything else that the instructer could think of. He even covered odd things that you usually wouldn't think of, like the emotional end, suicide of "abandoned" lovers and rape. What is rape and how to stop it, what do you do about it, if she says NO you STOP. Everything! To me that's real Sex ed - It was a full year class!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• cont... to me every child should go through a class like that! And way before HS... I was "active" way before HS, but never would have told my mother... My aunt gave me condoms when I turned 13 and gave me the talk... My mother found out and grounded me... So I never used protection again... I didn't stop having sex, and I surely didn't go to my mom... But, when I found out that my BF cheated and the other girl had std's I knew who I could go to... I talked to a trusted teacher. Those classes are a huge asset! And unfortunatly most kids will listen to those WAY more than they will parents. Besides... You don't have all the scary pictures...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• BTW... at 11 I wan't a virgin... So don't ever thing it's to soon! That's right on time! I was active before middle school and my mother never had a clue... Half the time I was just cutting class and having sex in the school... It's something that needs to be covered by someone that the child views as impartial... Those teachers don't "care" they are just being teachers and giving the facts... A mom though, kids see moms as just trying to get their way, and willing to say whatever to do it. So since she knows you don't want her having sex til she's 80 she's more likely to roll her eyes at you and blow half of it off... But the teachers pictures, videos and "facts" may hit home more...

But you still should follow up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I personally learned alot from sex ed! my mom taught me about actual sex and periods and all that but sex ed helped with lots of things like how everythign works and different stds, we also were sent home for a weekend with a "baby think it over" its this little baby that actually weighs like 8lbs maybe 9 tops it cries, you have a magnatized bottle and diaper so you had to figure out what was wrong with it and fix it, if it wasn't the bottle or the diaper you had a magnet on your wrist that you clicked onto the babies back, i personally learned nothing from the baby except hey i'm in the 7th grade and waking up every hour or 2 with this stupid thing! anyways for some parents sex talk is like a iffy subject so they just let the schools handle it, i will inform my kids of everything and then also let them go to sex ed!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The only type of sex ed we had growing up was in 5th grade and then again in middle school (6th or 7th grade I can't remember). It was basically reproductive anatomy, explanation on body changes during puberty, STD's etc. Nothing regarding actual sexuality, birth control, or anything like that. My son is only in 3rd grade and we are already beginning the talks here at home, but I am curious as to what type of sex ed will be offered in the coming years from school.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009