breast pump?

how often are you supposed to pump?
i am a little new to pumping i just got my pump a few days ago!

thanks in advance!!

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what are you pumping for? are you needing to pump for a specific reason? You don't HAVE to pump just because you are breastfeeding if that is your question. I have exclusively breastfed 4 babies and never pumped.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It depends on the reason that you are pumping. What are you trying to accomplish?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• After you're done nursing or if ur only pumping every 3 hours.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Depends.
    At first when my son was little I would pump after feedings to increase my supply
    Later when that wasn't a problem anymore I only would pump before bed (or I would wake up sore in the middle of the night)
    Now I only pump right before work and while I am at work but not at all on my days off
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Every 4 hours. Did you get any papers from when you were discharged or when you picked up your pump?
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You only need to pump when you need to pump :-) If your baby needs to get breastmilk in a bottle (such as you are leaving him with a sitter for a few hours) then you pump to leave milk for him.
    You may need to "practice" a bit to learn how to pump, and get your body to respond to the pump. You can pump a little each morning to get the hang of it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009