• In the Spotlight:

Can the inability to read dis-qualify you for adopting?

My husband cant read but I can and we want to adopt will this stop us? We really have a loving home and want to share as much as we can Iam not really into giving birth again so we are looking into adopting and well he cant read more than his name and numbers so please help we live in Ohio.

KidsDesrveFamly

Asked by KidsDesrveFamly at 11:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• My husband has learning disabilities and reads poorly, but we were able to adopt. We will not be homeschooling, so the school will do the majority of the teaching. I can work on it at home, and we use preschool.

If you are new here, you will have to get used to the rudeness of some of the women here. I disagree with the idea that women "lose" their children to adoption. At some point people need to take responsibility for their own decisions and actions, instead of always being the victim.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would imagine it would. Is it a language barrier or an learning difficulty or something else that is making it hard for him to read? See if you can find an adult education course near you that could help him to at least get to a high school level. I would imagine enough to pass a GED would be sufficient.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't know, but it probably should. I don't mean to be harsh but part of raising kids is educating them. If the parent(s) can't even read, how do you suppose you'll be able to acomplish that? What if something happens to you? How would he go about taking care of this child? Maybe you could teach him to read (if he thinks it's important enough to learn) before you bring children into the relationship?
    Anonymous

• My husband actually has his highschool diploma...he hasnt really been open completly as to why he cant read but when he was in high school he had an IEP...so I would hope even though he cant read we can adopt....we are younger so inpending doom of death isnt entirely likely and we are in good health
    KidsDesrveFamly

Answer by KidsDesrveFamly at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh, ok then. Everybody knows that only people over the age of 60 are allowed to die. So no worries. No need for both of you to prepare to become parents since you don't plan on dying. I'm not lucky enough to know my fate, so I plan ahead. I made this rule to only have children with a man who could be a good father and role model. But to each their own.
    Anonymous

• Just because someone cant read (obviously due to a learning disability since you say he had an IEP) does NOT mean he can not be a good father & a good role model! That is just rude to imply someone is less of a person because they have a learning problem. My ex's mom can not read & she was a great mom!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm less concerned about your husband's readling limitations and more concerned about the fact that you "really aren't into giving birth again" so you want another mom to lose her child so you can be a mother.
    Are you wanting to adopt an older child from foster care who is already available for adoption and needs only a family to love and accept them? If so, then I am completely wrong and apologize for having the thoughts I did. But if you are after the ever sought infant so you can be a mother again because that is "what you deserve" than my concerns remain the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• since most agencies, lawyers, facilitators only accept charge cards, cashier's checks or cash, it won't be a problem unless you find a rare one that takes signed personal checks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• sorry if i wasnt clear...we want a small child not an infant that we can brainwash and say i gave birth to...no no we want to give a child a family that wants to love a child who is legally free for adoption and has been thru enough hard times and wants them over because all children need to be loved and cherished in a safe place not that the one who did give birth didnt but clearly tis hard for them to be cared for by there bio's i want to have another child to love unconditionally and i know my hubby is a good father we have a child who turns one next month. My bio couldnt take care of me or my other 6 siblings. My dad was dead so Grandma adopted me. if a childs bm is capable i think she should because a child is only an infant so long and well you cant have that full experience when they are 2 or three or older. but no i dont want to snatch a baby and iam not bashing thos that do want an infant but man older kids need cont.
    KidsDesrveFamly

Answer by KidsDesrveFamly at 1:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• love too and how can they get that when everyone wants a newborn i would rather incourage the capable mommy to bes to rethink that because there are so many what ifs to go with all that...iam a newb so if i dont make sense sorry but plz dont bash me.
    KidsDesrveFamly

Answer by KidsDesrveFamly at 1:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009