• In the Spotlight:

5-yr old Diabetic, possible ADD Son.... HELP!!!!

My son, Elijah, the light of my life, was diagnosed with Type I Diabeties when he was only 14-mon. old. Aside from your usual energy that little boys are blessed with, when his blood sugar is too high or too low, he gets worse. Now, there is a very huge possiblity that he has ADD. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 10 and my husband also has it. Both of our moms are saying that Elijah has all the classic symptoms of ADD, but I don't just want to put him on med's. He already has to take 2-3 shots daily due to the diabeties. I think it would be really unfair if he had to take medicine for ADD as well. But, if he does need it, I don't want him to go without it. My mom chose not to have me medicated, and I know it was rough on her (I was a sheer terror as a child) and my husband grew up in a family that believed if you weren't bleeding to death, you dealt with it on your own. What should I do? Should I put him on Med's?

ElijahsMommy474

Asked by ElijahsMommy474 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he in school? How and when are ADD symptoms present? How much are they affecting his life and yours? I wouldn't rush to medicate. Talk with your pediatrician and confirm a diagnosis. You can adjust his diet, provide a sensory diet for him and use behavior modifications. The earlier you intervene with non-medicinal options the better he will be able to cope and adjust. ADD is a life long condition. so, he is going to need life skills to manage symptoms and learn to behave in socially appropriate ways. My son is ADHD and Autism spectrum. We haven't medicated but it takes a lot of patience to teach him the simplest of tasks. Hope this helps.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You're putting the cart before the horse here. The first thing you need to do is get a diagnosis. You should seek a developmental pediatrician (get a referral from your regular pediatrician).

Medication is not always necessary. Personally, we're keeping it as a "last ditch effort". (ADHD for our 5 year old) My husband has ADHD and was not medicated. He now believes he should have been because of all the trouble he had in school and the fact that his mom was no help, all she did was throw electronic toys at him to "keep him busy".

OT and councelling can help a lot with some kids. I wouldn't jump at any medication, though. But you have to get a diagnosis before worrying about that anyway!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It's really been in the last year or so that we've been seeing they symptoms. He starts school this August. I've talked to his pediatrician and he wants to wait and see how Elijah does in school before he recomends having him tested. My mom is pushing to have him on meds, my husband says he doesn't need them. I'm caught in the middle with a child that's bouncing off the walls, trees, dogs, etc.
    ElijahsMommy474

Answer by ElijahsMommy474 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My nephew isn't diabetic but he is quite active. My sister and her hubby were told to try giving him an ounce of Xango Mangsteen every day. They live in Korea and a psyciatrist recommend it to them. They signed their son up for soccer to help him get the extra energy out. According to my sister, my nephew behaved better in school and was able to concentrate better in school. There is information about Xango Mangsteen on the internet. A bottle costs about $30.00. Sometimes, Costco sells it. I tried it once. I have never tasted any juice like it before. It doesn't taste bad, just different.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2009