• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it's appropriate for a 5th grader to sing a song about beer in a Talent Show?

My daughters school had their 5th grade talent show tonight, and one of the contestants sang a song called Chicken Fried.. The song talks about drinking beer on Friday nights, etc... Is this appropriate?

*discuss*

other info- the child did win a place...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would as well. My kids are trying out for ours at their school next week. They sent home a list of appropriate and not appripriate types of things, and one of them was not referencing any drugs or alcahol, in any manner no matter how minor, or they would not be allowed to participate. I know which song you are talking about though, and I think it is so subtle that most kids wouldnt pay attention to it, but not in a public school with kids that young, I really dont agree with that.
    Anonymous

• No, I would take issue with that.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't think it is, I'd not let my kid sing about that.. BUT I guess if they were just scoring on voice quality and singing talent, and this child had the vocal talent- then it doesn't bother me that the child placed well
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If it is mentioned in the handbook, as I am sure alcohol is, then it shouldn't be in the talent show. When I was in junior high, they wouldn't let a girl sing Genie in a Bottle by Christina Augillera because of the sexual connotations.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Who was judging this? Don't they usually ask what song they are going to sing?
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The contestants that got the participation awards were pre judged from their auditions, but I do not know who judged the actual winners.

I'm wondering if I should take this to the School Board?
    Anonymous

• it would depend on the song, and seeing as i know the song you are talking about i don't think its inappropriate. the song is about small hometown life in america. its a very nice song and in no way does it go into getting drunk just says a cold beer on a friday night. if it were talking about alcohol the whole song and thats what the song was based on than yes, but this song isn't based on alcohol
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Its a small town country song. Why would you object? If your kid listens to the radio, they have heard it, so whats wrong singing it? I would let my kids sing it.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 12:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• noyt at all apropriate for her to listen to or sing
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I love that song. And yes it does reference drinking a beer on Frdiay night but it's a whole lot tamer than most songs. Appropriate not sure but honestly the song isn't that bad and I hate country.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009