Is it okay to supplement breastfeeding with goat milk?

We were supplementing our 5 week old daughter with Similac Advanced one bottle at night, but the gas pains and colic would not go away- we tried last night diluted goat milk, and she hasn't had trouble since- do you know if it is safe? Have you tried it?

MotherOf3As

Asked by MotherOf3As at 11:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard that goat milk is the closest to human milk but idk
    Anonymous

• they have similac for colic try that if not my family always gives baby tea!
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No clue. Google it.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my husbands mom made and did everything with goats milk she made butter yogurt, everything with it, they owned a few, i think its great, i have heard its easier to digest, but look into it read some books ask a doctor what they think, and always follow your gut instinct
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I know that with a colicky baby you should not switch milk/formula on, b/c their little stomaches cannot handle the milk and that id why they are having issues. You best bet is to go with a sensitive type formula and stick with it for a good three months and it will get better. Breastfeeding is best!
    Anonymous

• talk to the doctor first. I know someone who gave nothing but goats milk & it bothered me so I asked my sons doctor who said that too much is not good because it doesn't have enough nutrients and can also cause kidney problems down the road. the little girl I'm talkin about gained 2 lbs in 4 months & hardly peed & pooped rarely. it concerns me. but the doc did say small amounts are ok but talk to your doc first to get the ok and guidelines.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If I were you I'd just stop supplementing all together. Pump and feed her what your able to pump, and other than that nurse on demand.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My kids have been on goats milk, not that early, but they never had any issues.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes. Goat's milk is much gentler on the tummy than cow's milk. Fat gobules and protein is smaller making it easier to digest. www.askdrsears.com has a recipe for goat's milk formula. But beware that it's the same type of protein so if it's an allergy it may or may not work. DD's alelrgies were so bad that she couldn't even eat goat's yogurt.

Why are you supplementing though?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If you give us more info on why you are supplementing, I bet at least one of us here can help you stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2009