How do you get a 2 and a half year old to gain weight? My son is only 24lbs!!! Help

Anthonys_mommy1

Asked by Anthonys_mommy1 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have the doctors mention that it's a problem. By his height, this may not be bad at all. I have huge kids(not overweight, but just at the highest percentiles for height and weight for their age) and they aren't that far off. He looks fine in the picture. If you're worried, try ensure. It should help. Ask the doctor if you're really concerned. Hope it helps.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 4:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• As long as he's eating consistently I wouldn't worry about it. My son is also 2 1/2 and a shrimp for his age. He was 6lbs3oz at birth and has consistently grown but still never been above the 15th percentile. For the longest time he was 24-25lbs and didn't seem to gain any weight. I decided to continue giving him whole milk even though the doctors recommend you don't after they turn 2. My son is totally capable of feeding himself but sometimes he gets distracted or whatever and thinks he's done eating. So I feed him just so that I know he's eating when he should be. I think he's about 26-27lbs now and has grown a little in height but still only about the 10-15th percentile for his age.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Also, do you qualify for WIC? You can talk to the nutrionists there and they should be able to help.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My DS is 15 months old and the doc just recently brought up that he is not growing. He's 21 lb 6 oz. How tall is your little man?
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My little guy is 2 and 23 lbs. He is just very active. I try to slip healthy high-calorie stuff into his every-day foods. I mix plain yogurt into his mac 'n cheese, or mashed potatoes. I also try to give him lots of protein like peanut butter (almond butter is good too, esp if there are allergy issues). Also you can find good recipes online for high-calorie shakes and smoothies. As long as he's growing well though I wouldn't worry. Some kids are just skinny :)
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 7:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son is about 34in in height & the dr said with his past health issues that being this small is bad for him
    Anthonys_mommy1

Answer by Anthonys_mommy1 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• we give our kids almond butter and raw cashews and sunflower seeds no milk www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm and we give him distilled water and to gain weight we give him healthy foods that have good fats avocados
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• not easy tried pb sandwich b4 bed but dont like to let them think need food to got to sleep
    he was 3.5 lbs now will b 10 in Nov. & is 56lbs
    she was 5.2lbs & is now 8 9 in Feb & is 56 lbs
    ouromnifamily

Answer by ouromnifamily at 2:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My lil guy is 26 months old an weighs 22 lbs. He weighed 9 lbs at birth. His doctor tells me not to worry as long as he is eating ok. He is very active and burns off alot of calories. So, I would't worry about it as long as he seems healthy.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008